Romelu Lukaku's Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there isn't one direct quote there so they're assuming Chelsea want to make a profit on him. They're all assuming he'd want to sign a new deal there. Be surprised if they expected more than £20m for him to be honest. £20m tops is all we can afford to spend on him anyway.
Is it? I will openly admit I have no idea how big or small our budget is, but I don't know that 20m is all we can afford to shell out on Lukaku if he's our main target.

Is it? I will openly admit I have no idea how big or small our budget is, but I don't know that 20m is all we can afford to shell out on Lukaku if he's our main target.

We could probably afford to spend our whole budget on him which I suspect is about £25m-£30m, what I meant was we can't afford to use our whole budget on one player.

We could probably afford to spend our whole budget on him which I suspect is about £25m-£30m, what I meant was we can't afford to use our whole budget on one player.
Yeah I agree about not spending it all on one player. And we don't know our budget until it's allllllll gone and we have lots of expensive shiny new players.

25 million... go and sign him. Strikers who can score in this league are like gold dust.
His value will increase over time.
The likes of Bony would cost similar and look at what Tottenham got with Soldado for 28 mil.
Lukaku doesn't take our penalties either so his scoring ratio is very impressive.

I would be looking at winning the Europa League next season. If Arsenal win the cup we are straight into the group stages. We should have enough to cruise through that in 4 or 5 games.

Then as the last 32/16 come into focus we go all out to win it, thus getting a trophy and a passport to the Champions League.

To do this we need a AAA striker. Easier pathway than trying to finish 4th for me with the bonus of big income.

That is why I hope we spend significantly on a top class striker.

25 million... go and sign him. Strikers who can score in this league are like gold dust.
His value will increase over time.
The likes of Bony would cost similar and look at what Tottenham got with Soldado for 28 mil.
Lukaku doesn't take our penalties either so his scoring ratio is very impressive.
Definitely this. Lukaku is worth every pound of 25 million. The question is, do you spend your entire budget on him, or spread it around?

It's a tough one and I can see the argument for both cases.

Pro rata 25 million is the same as the 4.5 million we spent on Duncan or the 5 million on Kanchelskis.

We havn't gambled on paying real top wack on a striker since then. 11 for Yak was significant but not close to record spend and he always gave a good 15 months before fading. His injury just magnified this sadly.

Now obviously Lukaku could pick up an injury just as Benteke sadly has for Villa, but that is the nature of the game.
We have been very fortunate to have the likes of Coleman, Barkley and Stones on board for circa 3 million outlay, add in McCarthy for half the cost of a less effective Fellaini and we should not fear breaking the bank for this lad. He has all the right attributes too from age, experience and room to grow with the others.

Pro rata 25 million is the same as the 4.5 million we spent on Duncan or the 5 million on Kanchelskis.

We havn't gambled on paying real top wack on a striker since then. 11 for Yak was significant but not close to record spend and he always gave a good 15 months before fading. His injury just magnified this sadly.

Now obviously Lukaku could pick up an injury just as Benteke sadly has for Villa, but that is the nature of the game.
We have been very fortunate to have the likes of Coleman, Barkley and Stones on board for circa 3 million outlay, add in McCarthy for half the cost of a less effective Fellaini and we should not fear breaking the bank for this lad. He has all the right attributes too from age, experience and room to grow with the others.

Question is though mate, would you prefer to say pay 25m for lukaku and then get in a couple of 4m pound lads, or would you prefer to say loan Lukaku for another season, and get in the likes of Tadic and Markovic on perms (could be any two names of similar value like) for roughly the same amount of overall spend?

Question is though mate, would you prefer to say pay 25m for lukaku and then get in a couple of 4m pound lads, or would you prefer to say loan Lukaku for another season, and get in the likes of Tadic and Markovic on perms (could be any two names of similar value like) for roughly the same amount of overall spend?

I would probably still say Lukaku. If he signs a new Chelsea deal we are not getting him permenantly full stop.

I would like us to sign all 3 but that would block Mcgeady and Mirallas. Have to hope for more luck with injuries!

Rom will go where he wants to go and if he wants to come here then that'll be boss. No matter what happens, he'll always be our Belgian Christmas tranny.

lukaku-christmas-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back