Romelu Lukaku's Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would probably still say Lukaku. If he signs a new Chelsea deal we are not getting him permenantly full stop.

I would like us to sign all 3 but that would block Mcgeady and Mirallas. Have to hope for more luck with injuries!

McGeady isn't good enough to hold down a starting spot for us mate, definition of a squad player really, the loan thing interests me purely as it would maximise the strengthening we could do for this coming season like, him signing a new deal will make long term not a great deal of difference to our chances though, if his touch and hold up play doesn't improve then he can score 20 next year too and Chelsea still won't regard him as being ready

25million is worth it if we are going to build a team around him.

Besides, we'll get some on sell cash for Gosling to Bournemouth surely?

(I know, I know...it's just a joke...)

Could we get Lukaku and Tadic I wonder. He has 12 months left on his deal I think so maybe we could get him for a good price?

Think it all depends on how much we have mate, no one really knows until after the window what type of dosh we actually are gonna be working with, safe bet is 'at least' 20m but above that it could be little or a decent amount, Twente are in a bit of financial problems atm so won't be able to resist a decent bid of 8-10m or so according to reports like

We have been very fortunate to have the likes of Coleman, Barkley and Stones on board for circa 3 million outlay, add in McCarthy for half the cost of a less effective Fellaini and we should not fear breaking the bank for this lad. He has all the right attributes too from age, experience and room to grow with the others.

Coleman, Stones, McCarthy and Barkley are all players that will be key players into the future for us. If we can keep hold of these young players I think we will be constantly up there in the future. Add a quality striker to that group and we will then have 5 young players on that list. Spending 25mil to add another player to that list to me is absolutely worthwhile...as we should reap the benefits in the future...especially IF we can do the same next year by adding another etc. The plus we will have is that a team that can perform for years to come without huge disruptions of players in and out over time. That is IF we can keep hold of all the bright future stars we might have in the team.

Thus for the long term future I think we need to buy someone like Lukaku and grow the young talent we have. The players will know each other...bonds will form...and together they can become future champions in my opinion...as they should improve each year. Thus we should become stronger each year...and I thought the other day just how privileged we are having such a bright young crop at our club...and i also think thats why Martinez wont leave easily in the future as these guys/teams can literally become legends together. Add to that experienced player like Bains etc...from which they can learn and our future looks bright. Thus imo its important not to sell any of the possible future stars...and build around them for the future. Lukaku imo is an excellent start as we know he fits into the team and that he should improve...thus a low risk 25mil imo.

Maybe I am over optimistic...but hey it feels good knowing that there is a possibility of that happening. :)

would he really sign a contract extension with Chelsea???

Hard to know what he would do, does he think maybe that one more year of scoring 15-20 would show Chelsea he can do it consistently - especially if he then has a great Uefa campaign with us, another contract is another bonus and higher wages whilst he loses nothing from waiting, another year of scoring a load of goals would drive his signing bonus and wages up if he should then leave Chelsea the following season.
Also another year of scoring freely in a top league - and in Europe would if Chelsea decided to sell I'd imagine bring in more and 'bigger' clubs for signing him

Overall a lot of reasons why signing another contract could prove attractive to him

Think it all depends on how much we have mate, no one really knows until after the window what type of dosh we actually are gonna be working with, safe bet is 'at least' 20m but above that it could be little or a decent amount, Twente are in a bit of financial problems atm so won't be able to resist a decent bid of 8-10m or so according to reports like

That's what I was thinking. Also Fer was valued at similar, had 12 months (6 really) on his contract, and moved for 4 million.
Could we get Tadic for 5 or 6 million perhaps?
We need to be creative with the budget, especially once we sign Rom :)

That's what I was thinking. Also Fer was valued at similar, had 12 months (6 really) on his contract, and moved for 4 million.
Could we get Tadic for 5 or 6 million perhaps?
We need to be creative with the budget, especially once we sign Rom :)

Permanent or on loan I will be happy as long as Lukaku is their come the start of the season, then it's all about how ambitious we are truly gonna be, two more quality and I mean starting level additions will show a huge intent, think Tadic will fetch at least 10m personally and he is a bargain at that price really

On another note though, so far the star, express, Independent are all running the Lukaku new and another season long loan story now, probably hot air like from jarg papers but worth keeping an eye on it as they may have leaned their lesson from the Matic fiasco

Would be a similar situation to the one with Courtois, Madrid want him on loan again, not gonna start realistically for Chelsea next season, but want him to sign another contract

25 million... go and sign him. Strikers who can score in this league are like gold dust.
His value will increase over time.
The likes of Bony would cost similar and look at what Tottenham got with Soldado for 28 mil.
Lukaku doesn't take our penalties either so his scoring ratio is very impressive.

that would have to be the transfer flop of the season. I wonder whether Soldado will come good (I am assuming he once was...28mio FFS!)

McGeady isn't good enough to hold down a starting spot for us mate, definition of a squad player really, the loan thing interests me purely as it would maximise the strengthening we could do for this coming season like, him signing a new deal will make long term not a great deal of difference to our chances though, if his touch and hold up play doesn't improve then he can score 20 next year too and Chelsea still won't regard him as being ready
Nonsense opening line.

Nonsense opening line.

Not at all mate, I've seen him enough to know he isn't good enough and isn't consistent enough over a season to start for a team with top 4 ambitions, theirs a reason why we had a clear run at signing him for such a small fee, if you think he is on a par with Barkley, McCarthy, Mirallas, Barry, Lukaku etc then your gonna be in for a hell of a disappointment.

Exactly what he has shown since arriving to give you the impression he is good enough that we should shelve looking for another left winger and give him the job like I'd be interested to know, cos frankly he is no more than a squad player for a top 6 team.

Why every player we have in the squad has to be either good enough to start, or not good enough to wear the shirt, baffles me, squad players have a role, as perfectly illustrated by Naismith this season, further shown by the lack of anyone to spell Lukaku.

Ofc is Martinez does go out and buy a quality left sided midfielder as an obvious first choice to start like Mirallas is on the other side then I guess you'll slag him off for wasting money when we have a perfectly good enough starter their already like?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back