2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird because the same posters that tell us that our squad is stronger after every window that Dyche is here are the very same posters that say that Dyche is working miracles by keeping us in the league because the squad is so bad. They are also the same posters that tell everyone that Dyche would play a better brand of football if only the squad he had available to him was better. It's impressive mental gymnastics.

But, yeah, hoofball low block footie for at least another 12 monthsm

I think the squad is stronger than last season (currently - will have to see what transfers and injuries look like when season starts). I expect us to improve again on last season’s finish.

It's weird because the same posters that tell us that our squad is stronger after every window that Dyche is here are the very same posters that say that Dyche is working miracles by keeping us in the league because the squad is so bad. They are also the same posters that tell everyone that Dyche would play a better brand of football if only the squad he had available to him was better. It's impressive mental gymnastics.

I think I know who you're referring to, and many are prolific chatters of wham, but it is possible interpret this position as feasible.

1) the squad was incredibly poor, thus the bar was pathetically low.
2) the squad has magically improved on the above but still bucks big time.

Personally I'm not sure the squad quality had shifted too much. It still looks a collection of bog average Premier league football players to me, with areas of significant concern. Capable of finishing anywhere in the bottom half, maybe just top half.

Same old same old.

Completely disagree!

He was at Burnley for about 10 years more than enough time to change the playing personnel to a style he wanted.
I think we wont see anything different this season either, we might improve when we get the second ball from the original hoof to the striker, because hopefully we improve the quality of the players picking up the second ball scraps.

He will still rely on being solid at the back and 'hope' we grab something from a set piece rather than trying to open teams up with with a style of play.
We will concede possession to almost every team in the league home and away therefore constantly defending, this is why he wants our players to be super fit, so they can chase for most of the game.

Our wingers are essentially secondry full backs (they do more defending than attacking) and yet we have a striker DCL who needs our wingers or FBs to get to the byline and whip crosses in for which they are not instructed to do.

I fully expect exactly the same type of football we have seen with Dyche for the last 12-13 years.
Yes he could have morphed the side into a slightly more free flowing footballing team but there would have been a limit to that anyway. We have seen countless times with recently promoted sides who play football they tend to go back down with the odd exception in a year or two, Burnley funnily enough being the most recent example.

There was a Burnley fan on here that said when they were in the Championship they played some great stuff, so it is possible he is pragmatic as opposed to be concerned with style first. It will be interesting to see if he does develop the style of play and how quickly he does it.

I think the squad is stronger than last season (currently - will have to see what transfers and injuries look like when season starts). I expect us to improve again on last season’s finish.
I'll bookmark this for the inevitable sticky patch where you insist it's the players and that there's nothing Dyche can do with them. Like you said last season.

I think I know who you're referring to, and many are prolific chatters of wham, but it is possible interpret this position as feasible.

1) the squad was incredibly poor, thus the bar was pathetically low.
2) the squad has magically improved on the above but still bucks big time.

Personally I'm not sure the squad quality had shifted too much. It still looks a collection of bog average Premier league football players to me, with areas of significant concern. Capable of finishing anywhere in the bottom half, maybe just top half.

Same old same old.
That is also my view. No miracles will have been performed if this lower mid-table squad avoids relegation.

That is also my view. No miracles will have been performed if this lower mid-table squad avoids relegation.
For me, it's more about organisation and attitude/motivation/belief. They're not superstars, they're average. Get the mix wrong, lose the squad, heads drop etc and then it's the arse end of the table.

So, in my view, the strongest part of Dyche’s performance is the motivation/mentality/resilience element. Many might not agree, but after the last few managers, I can see an improvement. Again, low bar to clear!

For me, it's more about organisation and attitude/motivation/belief. They're not superstars, they're average. Get the mix wrong, lose the squad, heads drop etc and then it's the arse end of the table.

So, in my view, the strongest part of Dyche’s performance is the motivation/mentality/resilience element. Many might not agree, but after the last few managers, I can see an improvement. Again, low bar to clear!
I've made no secret of my dislike of Mr Dyche, as a manager and a human being. I can't stand him or the way he sets up football teams. However, if you just want to pick up enough points to stay in the division, you can't argue that he isn't capable of that. It just saddens me that that is where so many of our fanbase's ambitions now end.

I've made no secret of my dislike of Mr Dyche, as a manager and a human being. I can't stand him or the way he sets up football teams. However, if you just want to pick up enough points to stay in the division, you can't argue that he isn't capable of that. It just saddens me that that is where so many of our fanbase's ambitions now end.
But that is what was/is needed at that point in history. Dyche isn't forever. Dyche to me is a caretaker. Stabilise, ride out the crappy period, build.

It can't happen overnight. Villa went through a very similar process, except they were relegated. We haven't even got committed owners!

But agree, it's not what the club should be looking for in 5, 10, 20 years time.

But that is what was/is needed at that point in history. Dyche isn't forever. Dyche to me is a caretaker. Stabilise, ride out the crappy period, build.

It can't happen overnight. Villa went through a very similar process, except they were relegated. We haven't even got committed owners!

But agree, it's not what the club should be looking for in 5, 10, 20 years time.
I think there are ways to stabilise the club whilst also improving on the pitch. I reject the idea that the two are mutually exclusive. The longer we play this type of football, the harder it's going to be to attract players that don't want to touch the ball once a half and spend the rest of the time chasing the opposition. Imagine being a promising young ball-playing midfielder or a striker who thrives on through balls, then imagine being offered a transfer for Dyche's Everton. Would you sign for us?

I think there are ways to stabilise the club whilst also improving on the pitch. I reject the idea that the two are mutually exclusive. The longer we play this type of football, the harder it's going to be to attract players that don't want to touch the ball once a half and spend the rest of the time chasing the opposition. Imagine being a promising young ball-playing midfielder or a striker who thrives on through balls, then imagine being offered a transfer for Dyche's Everton. Would you sign for us?
I think that's a silly argument. It'll be on the next manager, with a stable club to deliver that.

On players, Moyes was often considered a dour manager yet attracted Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini and Baines.

I think the question is more about Dyche going for that type (debatable). He's a Dean Smith. Or that dull pragmatist they had at Wolves who they booted once he'd done his job (got them out of league 1 and stabilised the championship before they turned into Portugal).

Last edited:
I think that's a silly argument. It'll be on the next manager, with a stable club to deliver that.
Plenty on here want Dyche to be offered a new contract, we have no meaningful ownership, I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered another two or three years just because nobody wants to be in charge of any changes. In the same way Burnley were inextricably linked with Dyche, two or three more years of this dirge and it becomes our identity too.

Not sure that’s the case.
Think people are pointing out he:
Working with a smaller squad
Net with transfers
Reduced wage bil
Ownership issues
Points deduction

…And still managed a Better league finish.

Just deserves a bit of respect for that

Think if you threw in sexy football he would be Chelsea / Utd / England manager now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back