2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
How low we have fallen when scraping through by the skin of our teeth is seen as realistic and acceptable. Sorry mate but barely scraping through a season is absolutely disgraceful and will never be acceptable to me. Most decent managers would be able to to get this team to mid table in a season and even though that is still not acceptable, it would be realistic and expected.

So sad to be a blue now.

We've dropped incredibly low mate, holistically so as difficult as that is to tolerate.

Those expecting miracles are going to be disappointed, we need incremental improvement and lay foundations and set a baseline good culture in my opinion, that requires sustainability and consistency. I think we have the right manager for all that, i see it in the performances. I enjoyed our performance yesterday, the only two i havent are Villa and Arsenal. I can and will get behind this Everton team and this manger.

Like it or not, 39 points and we've had a good season by our recent standard's on and off the pitch.

Last edited:
I want better performances against top sides and all that as well as everyone else, but even so we weren’t likely to take this one. This changes next to nothing as we were down to 10 men from the off. BUT- this puts infinitely more pressure on him to take the winnable games.

Time to move on from Young. Too many big mistakes from him. At least a younger player like Patterson has the potential to get better. The fullback situation isn’t in our favor but we aren’t going to improve by starting a 38 year old in that position. It just won’t happen

He shouldn't be here, but I think he'll have us survive simply by this being a freak season where they are three absolutely appalling teams that finish on about 20-25 points. Unfortunately that'll probably be deemed successful for the club and prolong his spell with us. Would love a full sweep of him and his mates (Woan, Stone, Young, Keane) within the next 8 months (end of season) but can see all of them being here next August.

Bournemouth will 100% sack their manager soon. Sheff utd maybe aswell. Burnleys a hard call. 23 condeded already. Something will happen if that continues even if it is kompany. Depending on this i can see bournemouth getting better if they sack the pep guardiola wannabe.
We dont want to see any up turn or change in these clubs because as of right now they are our only saving grace. We should easly be on at least 12/13 points right now that would have given us a great cushion over those clubs, plus take 3 off luton for their win at Goodison. But we're right in it with them with so many tougher fixtures still to play. I'm still of the opinion the awful points tally will come back to bite us later on. 4 points from 21 before bournemouth was disgusting.

What are our home vs away stats from this season? Not counting cup games of course because we’ve played a League 2 side which unfairly skews the figures.

As far as I have observed our worst performance of the season has come in an away game.
Given are worst away result come against a team who have won 11 straight premier League games at home.

And are best home result came against a team without a win in 13 games 😅

Villa's home record this season
4-0 Vs Everton
3-1 vs Palace
6-1 Vs Brighton
4-1 Vs West Ham

You have to place perspective when viewing things. Am I happy with Everton 16th? No. But Everton have more than enough quality with Dyche as manager to easily survive.

I neither understand nor wish to understand 'XG' All I am concerned about is actual goals, the ones that often win points. The ginger David Brent can shove his XGs where the sun doesn't shine.

I have no real issue with what managers down the years just described after games as we're just not putting them away. But i dont really wana hear in press confrences we've got the best XG in 8 years. it puts absolute diddly squat on the board.

Why would it stay the same or increase playing the best teams away? Could you provide statistical evidence of teams not dropping there Xg consistently against the top 6.

I'm happy to crunch the numbers for anyone I have a Mathematics Degree and did my dissertation on football prediction and Xg
OK; so I'm assuming you mean "why would it NOT stay the same?

Because our "shots at goal will decrease significantly" as we play teams who are better than us...

How many shots did we have at goal yesterday?

One?

OK; so I'm assuming you mean "why would it NOT stay the same?

Because our "shots at goal will decrease significantly" as we play teams who are better than us...

How many shots did we have at goal yesterday?

One?
No.

People obviously don't understand Xg. It's not just the number of shots or shots on target, it is the likelihood of those shots being scored based on statistical modelling of big data sets.

Xg doesn't predict football games. So simply stating Xg is pointless but can give a sense of the team's poor finishing or lack of creativity.

No.

People obviously don't understand Xg. It's not just the number of shots or shots on target, it is the likelihood of those shots being scored based on statistical modelling of big data sets.

Xg doesn't predict football games. So simply stating Xg is pointless but can give a sense of the team's poor finishing or lack of creativity.
So "the likelihood of shots being scored" means you have to have shots at goal or on target first?

If you have one, or no shots at goal, then does that not mean that "the likelihood of shots being scored" will be almost zero, and that will reduce your average?

And before you say "No", it's logical right; no shots at goal, low Xg?

No?

So "the likelihood of shots being scored" means you have to have shots at goal or on target first?

If you have one, or no shots at goal, then does that not mean that "the likelihood of shots being scored" will be almost zero, and that will reduce your average?

And before you say "No", it's logical right; no shots at goal, low Xg?

No?
Liverpool for example had a handful of shots outside the box which would be considered low Xg. It's reasonable to suggest that less shots leads to lower xg but it's the type of chance that's counts.

I don't really want to get into further as I don't really care for Xg, but if people are spouting rubbish about stuff they don't understand then it has to be said.

Liverpool for example had a handful of shots outside the box which would be considered low Xg. It's reasonable to suggest that less shots leads to lower xg but it's the type of chance that's counts.

I don't really want to get into further as I don't really care for Xg, but if people are spouting rubbish about stuff they don't understand then it has to be said.
I prefer the logical approach.

And just because you understand it a little more than most doesn't mean that you can start "spouting rubbish" about supporters not understanding the entire process. You made a grammatical error in your first post, but you don't see me making disparaging comments about your lack of writing skills.

See how that works?

I prefer the logical approach.

And just because you understand it a little more than most doesn't mean that you can start "spouting rubbish" about supporters not understanding the entire process. You made a grammatical error in your first post, but you don't see me making disparaging comments about your lack of writing skills.

See how that works?
Also for someone that claims to have written their dissertation on this stuff you think they would know it's xG not Xg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back