2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the logical approach.

And just because you understand it a little more than most doesn't mean that you can start "spouting rubbish" about supporters not understanding the entire process. You made a grammatical error in your first post, but you don't see me making disparaging comments about your lack of writing skills.

See how that works?
It that's make you happy tackle me on my writing skills. I mean I have a disability that's impacts on my writing skills so it will never be perfect, but go ahead 👍

It's not fans not understanding the process it's labelling something as one thing when it isn't. Higher shots does not equate to higher Xg.

People get lazy when criticising or debating these days and throw trigger words they don't understand to make a point.

We've dropped incredibly low mate, holistically so as difficult as that is to tolerate.

Those expecting miracles are going to be disappointed, we need incremental improvement and lay foundations and set a baseline good culture in my opinion, that requires sustainability and consistency. I think we have the right manager for all that, i see it in the performances. I enjoyed our performance yesterday, the only two i havent are Villa and Arsenal. I can and will get behind this Everton team and this manger.

Like it or not, 39 points and we've had a good season by our recent standard's on and off the pitch.
This is a fact now. The sooner we realise that that we are a run of the mill team the sooner acceptance of our situation is palatable.
We haven't got a very good team and a manager with his hands tied behind his back is only capable of producing what his team is capable of and we have seen that is not great. We will not be relegated as there are worse teams about but we will also not join the top half until we can get players of ilk.

I am not saying we shouldn't thrive for better but currently we are in the brown stuff and our only hope is finance, board change and better decisions in future. The board have put us in this place and a change of manager is not going to make these players play like Barca.

It surprises me that considering the last 3 seasons we have had we still expect victories against everyone we play. We are poor and going to have a rough season because of years of negligence so I cannot hold the current manager responsible for our predicament.

I feel if we lose again next week at West Ham then it is really hard to make a case for keeping him.

2 wins, 7 defeats and 1 draw out of 10 games is absolutely abysmal. He should 100% be under scrutiny with such an appalling record.

We are basically 12 months on from Lampard pre-world cup and still equally as bad. He was brought in to improve us, those stats say he hasn’t.
Dyche won’t be going anywhere until the takeover is done at the earliest (December maybe?). Moshiri definitely won’t be spending any more money on a payoff/manager search when he’s about to leave.

Also, who would consider joining us in such an unstable situation?

Bournemouth will 100% sack their manager soon. Sheff utd maybe aswell. Burnleys a hard call. 23 condeded already. Something will happen if that continues even if it is kompany. Depending on this i can see bournemouth getting better if they sack the pep guardiola wannabe.
We dont want to see any up turn or change in these clubs because as of right now they are our only saving grace. We should easly be on at least 12/13 points right now that would have given us a great cushion over those clubs, plus take 3 off luton for their win at Goodison. But we're right in it with them with so many tougher fixtures still to play. I'm still of the opinion the awful points tally will come back to bite us later on. 4 points from 21 before bournemouth was disgusting.

Kompany will get pretty much all of the season unless their results remain really bad e.g. losing every week at home. Their whole reason of sacking Dyche was to become more progressive on and off the pitch and Kompany has done well in that regard even if they look very naive out of possession.

Even this early Bournemouth is the big one I think. I'm certainly not saying they have a squad full of quality players but likes of Billing looked far better under Gary O'Neill.

Mepham, Brooks and Kieffer Moore all started when Wales beat Croatia and yet all three of them are barely figuring for a team that's won 0 in 9.

Bournemouth just look a very lightweight and passive team currently so I think they'll ditch Iraola by December and get in a more pragmatic and safety first manager and they'll scramble a few wins (just as they did when O'Neill was given the job).

We'll see on Dyche. I don't really think there's much pressure on him given the chaos with the ownership but it's not great optics if he isn't even matching what the points haul Lampard was on going into the World cup break last year (think that was 14 points from 15 games?)

So he didnt have tactical nous beating Brighton 5-1 away, Brentford 3-1, battering Villa in the cup and even yesterday - we had 10 men at Anfield and reduced Liverpool to having to take pot shots outside the box.

The idea that he's tactically rubbish is ludicrous. Plenty of our former managers have gone to Anfield with 11 men and were hit for 4-5 gols.
If you think Dyche is tactically sound you need to choose another sport to watch . Carry on clapping.

I said performance if you read what I wrote. Also if you go back to 1st March Everton have played 25 matches. 10 at Home 15 away scoring 9 and 22 respectively so home goals PG is 0.9 and away goals PG is 1.46667. And conceded is 15 and 17 respectively so home goals conceded Pg is 1.5 and away goals conceded Pg is 1.1333.

So yes Everton are no question better away from home Mike.
Can you do this from the start of the season please?

Because, in all honesty it would give a better interpretation of Sean Dyche’s skill set. The removal of fire fighting tactics last year, the ability to have his own preseason with the players etc etc

So please run the same data from the Fulham game this year.

I think Bournemouth's team is probably better than most think. They have spent quite a lot of money over the past 18-24 months. They've just taken a mad gamble on a manager that looks more and more like a bad decision. They often did this under Howe though where they would get 5-6 results on the spin. They showed they were capable of that under O'Neill as well. Still think it's the three promoted teams but Bournemouth will be made to sweat the most.

You'd think we were on about 20 points the way he goes on about how unlucky we are, we've played "except for Villa" and "I've only been here 5 minutes so still trying to change the story".

The story is Sean that you are pretty crap unfortunately.

Played 9, won 2, drawn 1, lost 6.

That is absolutely terrible considering who we've played. He's going to need a big performance and result against West Ham otherwise we won't be out of the bottom 3 for much longer.

I neither understand nor wish to understand 'XG' All I am concerned about is actual goals, the ones that often win points. The ginger David Brent can shove his XGs where the sun doesn't shine.

I don't want to sound patronising here, genuinely just giving my take on XG as I know plenty of people don't really get it. But when your team creates chances and mainly controls the game, thats what good XG is. If you are under the cosh and basically getting dominated for the whole game. thats what bad XG is.

Under Lampard last season, our opponents were regularly getting twenty shots off against us (even chaff like Fulham and Southampton were having treble the chances we were) and we were barely surviving in games, mainly thanks to last ditch blocks from Coady and Tarkowski. We were clearly inferior to almost all opponents. That isn't the case any more. We're a stronger, more organised team this season, we've just been terrible at converting chances.

I'm honestly puzzled how people can't see the improvement compared to Lampards last few months.

Disagree with the point that he suits us right now. I really don’t want to look for another manager I fact some fans reckon we can’t afford to get rid but he’s not the manger for us.
His post match interview was pathetic. I want my manager to be an angry and go for the jugular about the officials performance. I also want a manager and coach that can improve players and be a good tactician. This guy doesn’t do any of it
Absolutely he suits us right now. We aren’t going to get another Ancelotti. We neither have the funds nor the stable base to attract anyone half decent so Dyche is a fit.

I agree with you that it would be great to see our manager stick up for us but realistically that’s not going to happen because the board (if we had one) wouldn’t back him and he’d be fined by the FA. Just look what happened to Lampard last year.

Speaking of Lampard, I don’t see how you can question Dyche’s tactics. He may not be perfect but I like the fact that we are getting shots away and limiting chances. Under Lampard, it was absolutely clueless.

The main problem I think is personnel. The likes of Keane and Gana have big errors in them and Young is pulling a pension so should be used carefully. He hasn’t bed in Danjuma, Beto or Chermiti which is very risky should our first choice players pick up an injury, and he seems not to have much faith in Patterson. I just hope he gets lucky and finds a personnel / formation that works (like Garner / Onana) because he hasn’t got the tactical flexibility to put that together himself.

I don't want to sound patronising here, genuinely just giving my take on XG as I know plenty of people don't really get it. But when your team creates chances and mainly controls the game, thats what good XG is. If you are under the cosh and basically getting dominated for the whole game. thats what bad XG is.

Under Lampard last season, our opponents were regularly getting twenty shots off against us (even chaff like Fulham and Southampton were having treble the chances we were) and we were barely surviving in games, mainly thanks to last ditch blocks from Coady and Tarkowski. We were clearly inferior to almost all opponents. That isn't the case any more. We're a stronger, more organised team this season, we've just been terrible at converting chances.

I'm honestly puzzled how people can't see the improvement compared to Lampards last few months.
Its about points jesus On that basis he should be wellied! Lose against West ham (which im sure the happy clapoers will turn this game into an expected loss ) and he needs to be punted. Who for? Literally anyone walking up City road to the game could do equally as well. Which aint any great metric ffs.

Isn’t XG based off shots? And the different variables of the shot i.e. where it was taken from, the angle of the shot, was it from a set piece etc etc

You can theoretically have 10% possession and have a higher Xg than your opponent.

Plus, there are various models out there. Some take into account the time between shots and some don’t. For example our XG against Luton was inflated because all the shots leading up to the goal were calculated independently. We then spent the next 55 minutes not having a single shot on goal yet somehow our XG was high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back