Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we dropped 2 points from a winning position. For all their possession and passing, they didn’t do much to actually threaten.

Everyone could see some changes were needed.

I’m not complaining about his set up or approach to the game, he tends to get that right. His in game management has been poor routinely though.
I don't disagree. Beto for DCL earlier maybe. Danjuma not hard working enough for me. Dobbin/ Chermiti too inexperienced maybe? Not changing the centre halves. It's the middle of park that we're light. Showed that yesterday. Gana possibly comes on if Onana fit. And 2 keepers on bench.

I don't disagree. Beto for DCL earlier maybe. Danjuma not hard working enough for me. Dobbin/ Chermiti too inexperienced maybe? Not changing the centre halves. It's the middle of park that we're light. Showed that yesterday. Gana possibly comes on if Onana fit. And 2 keepers on bench.
I would have brought Patterson on for Harrison. And had him and Young working on Mitoma together.

Beto definitely. His physicality when trying to get a reprieve would have been helpful.

and probably Danjuma for his legs. For 20 mins he would do enough running.

There’s isnt a whole lot of difference to how we play know and how we played under Anchelotti mate, you can say we’re Burnley or early nouthies AC Milan.
We were decent enough to watch for a few months after James came in, but, you are right, Ancelotti's side weren't pretty, he got away with it because, his teams win lots of games. Once a team play this defensive game the fans get disenchanted fairly quickly once the wins aren't coming.

villa away we created nothing, that’s his style against the poor teams in the league, then of course the possession goes up because they can’t keep the ball. But his tactic is counter attacking and route one football. And If we score first then he will go even more defensive

Brentford last season had 80% 2nd half as we sat in to defend a 1-0. It worked and will work again. But it’s not enjoyable and it’s never ever going to lead to improvement, we will just be around 12th/13th for the duration of his stay.
Which is a massive improvement on the past 2 seasons?

I would have brought Patterson on for Harrison. And had him and Young working on Mitoma together.

Beto definitely. His physicality when trying to get a reprieve would have been helpful.

and probably Danjuma for his legs. For 20 mins he would do enough running.

…yep, I agree and posted yesterday that Patterson for Harrison was the only viable change on that side.

ironic that Young covered the inside runner for the goal leaving Harrison marking Mitoma. It was so unfortunate, I imagine Brighton could still be playing now and not score had it not been for that deflection.

I looked at the half-time stats, they had 80% possession but we had 6 shots to their 3. Possession isn’t everything, i felt we needed a 2nd just like we’ll probably need a couple of goals next week.

Last edited:

As a one off game against a good team I can see what you’re saying, but it was still backs to the wall football. And this is what it will always be under dyche and I’m looking at the long term goal. I just done see us getting anywhere under him, he never changed at Burnley and not really changed at Everton, he’s just got better players than he had last season.

I want to see a manger like Brighton had today, who wants to go and win the game by be on the front foot. Will you be happy witt this football at BMD in 2yrs

We had this with Martinez, but he wasn't good enough. De Zerbi would last about 25 minutes at Everton because we would all get sick and tired of knocking the ball around at the back, again.

We were decent enough to watch for a few months after James came in, but, you are right, Ancelotti's side weren't pretty, he got away with it because, his teams win lots of games. Once a team play this defensive game the fans get disenchanted fairly quickly once the wins aren't coming.

I think the difference in opinion is one was Ancelotti and the other Dyche mate, if Lampard thought us anything it’s that there is a seduction in our fan base to a “name” and the cult of personality and the perception that goes with that

I think we’re that quality player, a James or Kaka short - not to be glib, but a quality playmaker or two short. But look most readable people can see we’ve been on fire for two seasons and may just have hit ground zero and got up a rung of the ladder.

Progress needs to be incremental. The team needed to get back to basics, it needed foundations, minimum good structures, functioning lines, effort, good culture, good mentality and performences - that’s what the manager is doing it’s a process rather then an event.

I don’t think we’re defensive at all, I don’t understand when peopole say that, we don’t sit back, we are organised at the back, we look as dangerous as almost all teams we are facing and are competitor in games. We don’t have big possesion stats, because we move the ball forward quickly.

I think the difference in opinion is one was Ancelotti and the other Dyche mate, if Lampard thought us anything it’s that there is a seduction in our fan base to a “name” and the cult of personality and the perception that goes with that

I think we’re that quality player, a James or Kaka short - not to be glib, but a quality playmaker or two short. But look most readable people can see we’ve been on fire for two seasons and may just have hit ground zero and got up a rung of the ladder.

Progress needs to be incremental. The team needed to get back to basics, it needed foundations, minimum good structures, functioning lines, effort, good culture, good mentality and performences - that’s what the manager is doing it’s a process rather then an event.

I don’t think we’re defensive at all, I don’t understand when peopole say that, we don’t sit back, we are organised at the back, we look as dangerous as almost all teams we are facing and are competitor in games. We don’t have big possesion stats, because we move the ball forward quickly.

More or less agree with all of that, although I do think we've deliberately set ourselves up more defensively against Arsenal and Brighton this season.

What I would say is that there is some unbelievable snobbery/delusion about styles of play.

We've been circling the drain for two years and we've got people moaning about style of play?! Surely any sane person would see that we need to rebuild and gain some stability first. If you look at the job Moyes did here, that's your blueprint - take a club with no money, get the fundamentals in place and play to your strengths. When the foundations are there, you can build on it but we are miles away from that just now.

I think he's genuinely doing a tremendous job up to now. He somehow kept us up (and we looked absolutely dead when he came in) and the performances have been night and day from what we were seeing 12 months ago. We've been competitive in practically every game we've played.

Some short memories in here. Survived by the skin of our teeth last season and we weren’t much more comfortable season before. Dyche's brief this season (imo) is to keep us up with some room to spare. If we’re safe with 4/5 games to go he’s met that brief, anything more (including cup runs) is a bonus.

I'd understand frustrations with style of play in 2 or 3 years time when we're more established back in mid table, but for now survival is the goal.

Also, I am quite enjoying watching an Everton side who are organised, battling for every ball and aren't folding like a wet paper bag every week… although some of our deep defending isn’t great for my blood pressure.

More or less agree with all of that, although I do think we've deliberately set ourselves up more defensively against Arsenal and Brighton this season.

What I would say is that there is some unbelievable snobbery/delusion about styles of play.

We've been circling the drain for two years and we've got people moaning about style of play?! Surely any sane person would see that we need to rebuild and gain some stability first. If you look at the job Moyes did here, that's your blueprint - take a club with no money, get the fundamentals in place and play to your strengths. When the foundations are there, you can build on it but we are miles away from that just now.

I think he's genuinely doing a tremendous job up to now. He somehow kept us up (and we looked absolutely dead when he came in) and the performances have been night and day from what we were seeing 12 months ago. We've been competitive in practically every game we've played.

Couldn’t agree more mate. For too long we tried to build something insubstantial, wasted 100s of millions on it and rove the club to ruin because of it.

We have a manager now who will put the foundations down, effort, culture and mentality it’s improved immeasurabley since he came in. This is an honest and real Everton team.

I’d also point out almost everyone in that squad fit is contributing, he’s man managed a problem in DCL that massively contributed to us almost being relegated twice and brought on lads like Onaba, Garner and Brantwaithe who were struggling to impact or flattering to de dive when he came in.

All while posting performences, winning 5 in 8 and progressing to a cup quarter final.

Last edited:
The moans and groans with Dyche appear to be for tweaks here and there so therefore he's doing a lot right.
He's no world beater but he's steadied the ship and despite the fact like many I wasn't wanting him here, he's proving that he's probably the best man for the position we find ourselves in these days both on and off the pitch.
He's galvanised and improved the team and I for one am enjoying my weekends better these days and looking upwards in the table instead of down.

The moans and groans with Dyche appear to be for tweaks here and there so therefore he's doing a lot right.
He's no world beater but he's steadied the ship and despite the fact like many I wasn't wanting him here, he's proving that he's probably the best man for the position we find ourselves in these days both on and off the pitch.
He's galvanised and improved the team and I for one am enjoying my weekends better these days and looking upwards in the table instead of down.
I don't like him much but I am coming round to the fact that he is what he is and it's not going to change anytime soon, if he gets us into somewhere between 11th-14th then fair enough to him and I will say well done to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back