Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree. Beto for DCL earlier maybe. Danjuma not hard working enough for me. Dobbin/ Chermiti too inexperienced maybe? Not changing the centre halves. It's the middle of park that we're light. Showed that yesterday. Gana possibly comes on if Onana fit. And 2 keepers on bench.
Patterson should have come on around the 75min mark and pushed young to right mid. Harrison was knackered. Think Danjuma should also came on for doucoure at the same time and kept the same shape. Your right gana comes on if onana is fit. Think Coleman being back soon will help. Potential to bring both Coleman and Patterson on to see out a game on our right side. Are left side is fine with myko and McNeil if I’m being honest. I trust danjuma more in the false 10 role than on the left.

We had this with Martinez, but he wasn't good enough. De Zerbi would last about 25 minutes at Everton because we would all get sick and tired of knocking the ball around at the back, again.
I’m embarrassed for you, reading that post,
So Brighton just pass it around the back 😂
Martinez shouldn’t have got job, but it suited bills pocket, he destroyed a team regularly finishing top 8 because of poor buys and not being interested in trying to coach his team defensively.

In the modern game you will not get anywhere long team with Ale house tactics. We are seeing his influence in the transfers market with Beto, 30 mil on a player that is big and strong and has pace, but technically looked horrendous, he’s a perfect dyche player. Doucoure is now set for that number 10/split striker role for the next 2 yrs. can we really say Harrison and McNeil have been excellent, yet he leaves a wide player on the bench who offers something different, because he probably won’t do the hard yards.
Will we see dyche buy a technically better number 10 while he’s manager, I doubt it very much

With new owners/board on the way and who knows what money we have, then this should be the time to get a manager who wants to play the modern way and imo the only way to have success.

And back to martinez who wasn’t the greatest manager, but by adding a few flair players and playing a different style he beat moyes’s points tally at the first attempt and playing better football

Patterson should have come on around the 75min mark and pushed young to right mid. Harrison was knackered. Think Danjuma should also came on for doucoure at the same time and kept the same shape. Your right gana comes on if onana is fit. Think Coleman being back soon will help. Potential to bring both Coleman and Patterson on to see out a game on our right side. Are left side is fine with myko and McNeil if I’m being honest. I trust danjuma more in the false 10 role than on the left.
Patterson should’ve been on from the start. Maybe then Harrison would’nt have spent the whole game going backwards and being knackered after 70 minutes. Maybe the legs, pace and stamina of Patterson would’ve allowed Everton to push out more often giving themselves a break from the constant Brighton pressure?

Which is a massive improvement on the past 2 seasons?
Yes we know all that, he’s got a much better squad than the previous 2yrs and this is a much worser league. 12/13th would be great this season, but I don’t see it moving in from there, we could easily go backwards under dyche the following season.

It’s more his style, it’s very limited

Last edited:
Patterson should’ve been on from the start. Maybe then Harrison would’nt have spent the whole game going backwards and being knackered after 70 minutes. Maybe the legs, pace and stamina of Patterson would’ve allowed Everton to push out more often giving themselves a break from the constant Brighton pressure?
Yeah I agree Patterson should definitely start but he just won’t under dyche. Patterson gives Harrison the overlap which would allow him to come inside more.

He was starting to win me around, but yesterday was the ultimate reminder of what a boring dinosaur he really is. No excuses for that, HE cost us 2 points.

Ashley Young is a disgrace and he's going to be why more fans turn on him

Seems to me In some ways - not all; we're back in classic Moyes mode, when many...well me for one...were convinced that Moyes had better team than he would admit to.
All he had to do was change his emphasis a bit...not go full out Keegan-esque - you score 4 we'll score 5.
Just take the handbrake off.

Fast forward a dozen years and this team is not a patch on those guys.
Was Moyes frightened if he did take the handbrake off then the wheels would fall off as well?
IMO; Yes?
Would it happen?
Martinez's first season says - probably not.*
*But remember his first 3 games - 3 draws. Then enter Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy and to an extent, Deulofeu.
But only if you keep the Moyes discipline as a base.

Q) Is Dyche right to not take His handbrake off

My answer is; Yes - for now.

This team Is Not better than it actually is - Yet.

The big worry is...for a multitude of reasons...maybe not in the next 2,5 / 3 seasons, which, again IMO, is as far as you can look.

Am I happy with it - No
But I can see why.

I'm not that annoyed with the tactics because they worked by and large. I'm a bit frustrated that he didn't make an earlier sub to try and be proactive to get the second goal to kill off the game. And I'm a bit annoyed at how often we played the wrong pass when they had lots of men up the field and we had acres of space to counter. That was the difference between yesterday and the game in May - we didn't have the quality yesterday and one moment was all we really needed second half.

Both teams will feel they were slightly unlucky on certain things, and both teams will feel like their tactics mainly worked, so a draw is probably fair enough

He was starting to win me around, but yesterday was the ultimate reminder of what a boring dinosaur he really is. No excuses for that, HE cost us 2 points.

Ashley Young is a disgrace and he's going to be why more fans turn on him
Got the set up spot on and frustrated them most of the game and was unlucky with the goal. Agree that he should have got fresh legs on but say he cost us two points when his game plan was working makes no sense. Will be a time we have a better squad to work with and he must start using it

I guess you could argue that Dyche is having to strengthen our defensive game, especially as we used to get cut to ribbons through the line and it always ended up in the back of our net. Next he had to try sort out a way of scoring which we couldn't manage at all at the start of the campaign.
I'm hoping as these things get more frequent, that he will move on to sorting the more tactical side of our offensive game. Holding the ball up better and bringing players into the game more effectively.

This for me, is where he will succeed or only reach average potential as a manager, because we do at some stage need to be getting around 40% possession minimum in home games, with a more concrete base to allow full backs to overlap and have confidence for attacking midfield to flood the box.
At the moment I'm on the fence with this sit back and hoof the ball upfield, (getting results the ugly way) versus playing a more modern style of football and wondering if we have the quality in the squad to implement it.
Right now, I'll take a season of not looking over our shoulders, not sacking a manager, while all the off field stuff gets sorted.

We don't have the squad this season to rotate heavily and still be competitive. That's why picking a strong team midweek was correct. But when you play Sunday Wednesday Saturday, you do need to use your bench for impact when players tire. Especially when there are one or two players in your side who are older, and one or two players not long back from long term injuries.

Dyche has improved his tactics in the few matches leading into the Bournemouth match, but since he has not changed formation but tweaked the tactics whenever needed at least on paper. But there are segments of the field that are bypassed or have no passes between them, we look like an almost there team. We still need more work to be done if Dyche persists with the One Season - One Formation policy.

His sheer reluctance to make subs is going to be even more tested in the days of 5 subs being available. That’s a lot of fresh legs to compete against at the end of games, will be interesting to see how it plays out as the season goes on. I wouldn’t exactly say that a Brighton goal was coming, but I’ve had maybe bought Patterson on for Harrison and Beto on 10 minutes earlier.

I guess you could argue that Dyche is having to strengthen our defensive game, especially as we used to get cut to ribbons through the line and it always ended up in the back of our net. Next he had to try sort out a way of scoring which we couldn't manage at all at the start of the campaign.
I'm hoping as these things get more frequent, that he will move on to sorting the more tactical side of our offensive game. Holding the ball up better and bringing players into the game more effectively.

This for me, is where he will succeed or only reach average potential as a manager, because we do at some stage need to be getting around 40% possession minimum in home games, with a more concrete base to allow full backs to overlap and have confidence for attacking midfield to flood the box.
At the moment I'm on the fence with this sit back and hoof the ball upfield, (getting results the ugly way) versus playing a more modern style of football and wondering if we have the quality in the squad to implement it.
Right now, I'll take a season of not looking over our shoulders, not sacking a manager, while all the off field stuff gets sorted.
Think is a mix of both we do have some good plays but then we cant find the right pass. We really need something if the middle that could help us use the ball better. Was never going to be a full change this season but i do hope we can start to look up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back