Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has Dyche improved is a tricky question when considering most of the names stated are young or come from the same school of thought (like Doucoure). Most of the players who play with more imagination and creativity have been moved on during or even before his tenure.

This is like having a small child next to the beach trying to sell seashells on the seashore, but we are having a fight over rock pebbles.

Now with Doucoure's new contract imagine just perchance we have to change managers within the next 12 months.

That's because we absolutely, 100%, do not practice passing out in training. I'd say we practice shape/defensive positioning and that's about it.

Said it in the match thread but we played like a League 1 team away to a prem club in the FA Cup. If Dunks goal stood we lose that game probably 7 or 8 times out of ten. That Brighton team is not one we should be fearing or giving up 80% possession to at home. There has to be some sort of plan of imposing ourselves on teams, not just hoping to nick goals on the counter or set pieces. People saying Brighton were lucky yesterday I think we were the lucky ones our goal was about as spawny as theirs but they had a plan to try and win. We were trying to not lose.
Go look at Brighton wins/losses this year. All of their losses have come to teams who have let them have possession. Villa beat them 6-1 with 36% possession. Newcastle tried to go half and half and lost. United too.

Anybody that says we aren't better under Dyche is living under a cloud.....

I've seen possession being bandied about as if it's the be all and end all. We had more shots on target than Brighton yesterday..... That's a fact.

Would I love us to be able to hold the ball and pass it for the sake of passing, we had that towards the tailend of Martinez and if memory serves me right it was horrific.....

Everton are always best when we are in your face, full bloodied tackles, crosses into the box and horrible to play against.

And you still don’t see what I’m saying?
That no players have improved under Dyche? That he hinders development? Based on a home draw against Brighton? I cannot agree.

I can certainly see where the suspicions come from about Dyche, and I would say they are based largely on his time at Burnley as I don't see those accusations manifesting in his Everton side who play with a energy and tempo and higher line his Burnley team couldn't match. I see players young and old improving and gaining confidence from a manger who has at the very least a set of leadershop skills and can present instructions with clarity. I'm impressed with Dyche, whether that is due to the fear at felt at seeing the idiot lampard on the touchline or because Dyche can take us forward, I'm not sure yet. But, right now I'm looking forward to everton games again, which certainly wasn't the case under lampardm nebitez or alladyche. I find his football more entertaining and the team more purposeful.

...... We were trying to not lose.
Trying not to lose is exactly is exactly what a team coming off back to back relegation fights should be doing. One point a game probably sees us safe with room to spare. Fellas moaning about the style of play being turgid or whatever would be moaning twice as much and calling Dyche naïve (and worse) had we gone all out against those and got beat.

I’m embarrassed for you, reading that post,
So Brighton just pass it around the back 😂
Martinez shouldn’t have got job, but it suited bills pocket, he destroyed a team regularly finishing top 8 because of poor buys and not being interested in trying to coach his team defensively.

In the modern game you will not get anywhere long team with Ale house tactics. We are seeing his influence in the transfers market with Beto, 30 mil on a player that is big and strong and has pace, but technically looked horrendous, he’s a perfect dyche player. Doucoure is now set for that number 10/split striker role for the next 2 yrs. can we really say Harrison and McNeil have been excellent, yet he leaves a wide player on the bench who offers something different, because he probably won’t do the hard yards.
Will we see dyche buy a technically better number 10 while he’s manager, I doubt it very much

With new owners/board on the way and who knows what money we have, then this should be the time to get a manager who wants to play the modern way and imo the only way to have success.

And back to martinez who wasn’t the greatest manager, but by adding a few flair players and playing a different style he beat moyes’s points tally at the first attempt and playing better football

Doucoure is fulfilling a role that Beto isn't yet up to filling. Martinez teams never 'just passed it round at the back' but that was what did for him. That was his philosophy, very much the same way it is for De Zerbi. The Moyes team had a better balance to it, a better balance than Martinez could muster. When he tried to fill the team with players capable of his philosophy, rather than a hybrid, he blew it cause the balance went. If we brought De Zerbi, the exact same thing would happen and we'd collapse quicker than your argument, because for a few years at least, you'd be asking Tarkowski to be Stones and Patterson to be Trippier. Neither will ever be either.

Let's look at the weekend, when were we really troubled, like properly last gasp defending. Once? Twice? They passed the ball a lot, much of it at the back when we stood off. Played lots of goalkicks sideways. They played nice 1 touch football, played passes on the turn, but a well organised team can be drilled to stop that, se nearly did and we're shabite.

Exciting football for me is counter attack football, forward balls looking to split a defence, it may even be one pass into the middle and then forwards or out wide to get the ball into the middle for the striker or supporting midfielder.

Dyche isn't the perfect manager for a great Everton side, but he's OK for what we are now, and his style suits the players we have at our disposal. As for purchasing Beto, it's much more sensible to buy one player that suits a squad and existing style than it is to buy the 9 we'd likely need to change the style to what you like. We tried doing that, it's left us fighting relegation for the last two seasons.

That no players have improved under Dyche? That he hinders development? Based on a home draw against Brighton? I cannot agree.

I can certainly see where the suspicions come from about Dyche, and I would say they are based largely on his time at Burnley as I don't see those accusations manifesting in his Everton side who play with a energy and tempo and higher line his Burnley team couldn't match. I see players young and old improving and gaining confidence from a manger who has at the very least a set of leadershop skills and can present instructions with clarity. I'm impressed with Dyche, whether that is due to the fear at felt at seeing the idiot lampard on the touchline or because Dyche can take us forward, I'm not sure yet. But, right now I'm looking forward to everton games again, which certainly wasn't the case under lampardm nebitez or alladyche. I find his football more entertaining and the team more purposeful.
Do you think the Brighton centre half’s have more innate football skill/talent than Branthwaite?

Good morning Evertonians. I bring you this.

Seems pretty in tune with the culture of the club and how to play the game.

Just might take a little time. Perhaps the most entitled and pissy pants will try sabotage another Everton manager as they want it right now, but they’re just big sillies aren’t they.

This is puzzling for me, he says he is not that keen on ball-playing center halves but has Tarky practicing crossing and long ball football in most of the training videos. The way he says it that all action should be in their final third only to suddenly remember our midfield is hilarious stuff.

Trying not to lose is exactly is exactly what a team coming off back to back relegation fights should be doing. One point a game probably sees us safe with room to spare. Fellas moaning about the style of play being turgid or whatever would be moaning twice as much and calling Dyche naïve (and worse) had we gone all out against those and got beat.
Spot on priority is grab as many points no matter what system even if it's a hard watch.our priority is to get in the new stadium still a premier league team end of...

This is puzzling for me, he says he is not that keen on ball-playing center halves but has Tarky practicing crossing and long ball football in most of the training videos. The way he says it that all action should be in their final third only to suddenly remember our midfield is hilarious stuff.
Sounds a lot like what Paul Scholes was saying in his interview with Gary Neville

Anybody that says we aren't better under Dyche is living under a cloud.....

I've seen possession being bandied about as if it's the be all and end all. We had more shots on target than Brighton yesterday..... That's a fact.

Would I love us to be able to hold the ball and pass it for the sake of passing, we had that towards the tailend of Martinez and if memory serves me right it was horrific.....

Everton are always best when we are in your face, full bloodied tackles, crosses into the box and horrible to play against.
I totally agree with this: we are in a much better position now than previous, and I think we'll see the rewards of this over the coming season. We'll easily be safe.

However, I think the most common concern (gripe, concern) is how some of Dyche's self-imposed glass ceilings may in the long-term curtail us.

Now that's natural for most managers would be a fair rebuttal of that, but things like choosing not to make a sub until 89 minutes is something quite fixable.

But will his rigid (stubborn) approach allow it? I will accept it's a balancing act of making sure we're secure and disciplined, with what's a limited squad.

Yet nobody can tell me that a refusal to bring Patterson on for a clearly tired and vulnerable Young is a good idea, nor can they use it to justify the other positives.

Little things like that can be the difference between winning, losing or ultimately (like yesterday) drawing a game. We need to be patient, but he has to be pragmatic.

I'll keep giving Dyche praise for what he's done and right now he probably is the right man for the job, all things considered, but some stuff still seriously frustrates.

No, Brainthwaite has a higher ceiling. He also had a better game and looked like he'd been developed better than both of them, Dunk especially is on the edge of his limitations.
Yet the Brighton centre halves had much more possession, more touches of the ball, didn’t spend the whole game defending. Were pivotal in building up passages of play, in fact to an extent dictated the flow and passage of the game.
Now Branthwaite will never be allowed to play in that manner under Dyche. Even if he’s got all the potential to be excellent at it.
That’s means, to me, he’s not going to reach his full potential as a football player under Dyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back