Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive cognitive dissonance going on in this thread acting as though Dyche is a horrible manager somehow holding us down. Have people really watched us since Ancelotti left and come to the conclusion that somehow Dyche is the issue with this team being poor and not the fact that we've got a mostly awful paper thin squad? I actually like some of our players and think they're decent but any praise given is in the guise that "decent" is "not relegation standard".

We are where we are because we deserve it but this is the first manager in years to objectively get a tune out of the squad. I challenge anyone to suggest a better manager that would come to us and get more out of the squad. The shouts for Potter and them are ridiculous, obviously he's a better manager than Dyche but there are genuinely 15 better clubs to go to in this league for any manager, why would he come here? That goes for anyone. We have absolutely nothing to offer a manager at the moment and Dyche is getting results, one way or the other. His job is to keep us up and he'll do that, what more are people expecting?

I know we as fans have high hopes and all that but we're truly an awful prospect for any manager at the moment, that'll hopefully change with the new owners, stadium and young squad growing in quality but these things will take time. The fact of the matter is we are lucky to be in this league at the minute and everyone knows it. We're a bad team already, changing the manager will frankly only make us worse. Getting Dyche is arguably one of just a few of Moshiri's decisions that was actually the right one for where we are.

In fairness he also took them to Europe. Fact is Burnley are simply not a PL standard club, getting relegated with them shouldn't be the be-all-end-all of any manager. If you use that as a reason to say Dyche is a bad manager or did a bad job at Burnley then that's simply dishonest, he did very well for them consistently. I'm sure Newcastle fans weren't arsed about Howe taking Bournemouth down when he got them top 4 last year, same with West Ham fans winning a European trophy after Moyes took Sunderland down.

When you manage small clubs that spend most of their time in the Championship it shouldn't be a shock when they inevitably get relegated, that's why Brentford and Brighton get so much praise because they're bucking the trend and actually doing really well, they're the exceptions to the rule.

In fairness he also took them to Europe. Fact is Burnley are simply not a PL standard club, getting relegated with them shouldn't be the be-all-end-all of any manager. If you use that as a reason to say Dyche is a bad manager or did a bad job at Burnley then that's simply dishonest, he did very well for them consistently. I'm sure Newcastle fans weren't arsed about Howe taking Bournemouth down when he got them top 4 last year, same with West Ham fans winning a European trophy after Moyes took Sunderland down.

When you manage small clubs that spend most of their time in the Championship it shouldn't be a shock when they inevitably get relegated, that's why Brentford and Brighton get so much praise because they're bucking the trend and actually doing really well, they're the exceptions to the rule.

Yeah, briefly, before they were knocked out at the second qualifying stage.

Koeman took Southampton to Europe around the same time, should we get him back?

You can call him Sean mate, hes Sean to his friends. ;)

Made me laugh but who is thumb?
The man with the stats. Got his thumb on the pulse of big game analysis. No one did it better.

R.I.P in peace.

IMG_6904.webp

It’s almost like that proved my point that Dyche overachieved with a very bad Burnley team and is a decent manager. Getting them to Europe in the first place is a massive accomplishment, Brighton aren’t doing that great in Europe this season, if they don’t make it out of the group no one’s gonna be saying De Zerbi is a bad manager or that he should be sacked? He’s massively overachieving based on their expectations.

Not sure what your point on Koeman is either since that Southampton team was widely regarded as unreal at the time with the players they had, Burnley were not at all. Also Koeman since then has gotten much bigger jobs based almost entirely on that period.

Massive cognitive dissonance going on in this thread acting as though Dyche is a horrible manager somehow holding us down. Have people really watched us since Ancelotti left and come to the conclusion that somehow Dyche is the issue with this team being poor and not the fact that we've got a mostly awful paper thin squad? I actually like some of our players and think they're decent but any praise given is in the guise that "decent" is "not relegation standard".

We are where we are because we deserve it but this is the first manager in years to objectively get a tune out of the squad. I challenge anyone to suggest a better manager that would come to us and get more out of the squad. The shouts for Potter and them are ridiculous, obviously he's a better manager than Dyche but there are genuinely 15 better clubs to go to in this league for any manager, why would he come here? That goes for anyone. We have absolutely nothing to offer a manager at the moment and Dyche is getting results, one way or the other. His job is to keep us up and he'll do that, what more are people expecting?

I know we as fans have high hopes and all that but we're truly an awful prospect for any manager at the moment, that'll hopefully change with the new owners, stadium and young squad growing in quality but these things will take time. The fact of the matter is we are lucky to be in this league at the minute and everyone knows it. We're a bad team already, changing the manager will frankly only make us worse. Getting Dyche is arguably one of just a few of Moshiri's decisions that was actually the right one for where we are.

Could have timed substitutions better.

Burnley's squad wasn't as bad as you are trying to paint it. They had Pope, Tarkowski, Collins, Mee, McNeil, Cornet, Wood and he still managed to get them relegated.

This season he has reached dizzy heights of one point per game with Pickford, Branthwaite, Tarkowski, Onana, Garner, McNeil, Harrison, Danjuma and DCL at his disposal. Miracle maker indeed.

Burnley's squad wasn't as bad as you are trying to paint it. They had Pope, Tarkowski, Collins, Mee, McNeil, Cornet, Wood and he still managed to get them relegated.

This season he has reached dizzy heights of one point per game with Pickford, Branthwaite, Tarkowski, Onana, Garner, McNeil, Harrison, Danjuma and DCL at his disposal. Miracle maker indeed.
Where did I call him a miracle worker? They also sold Wood mid-season when they went down and didn't replace him. Funny you mention that he had McNeil and Cornet as good players there when everyone here thinks they're both crap, as was said constantly in the summer and you've named 7 Burnley players, which consists of 1 GK and 3 CBs, that's hardly enough to keep you up on it's own? None of that matters though because you can never just judge a squad on paper otherwise Leicester would've never been relegated last year.

Also like I said we have a few decent players but no one in our squad is that amazing we're around where we should be with the quality, which is bottom half really. I just really don't understand this narrative that people are desperate to paint Dyche with, let's say you're right though and I'll go back to my original point, who do you realistically replace him with that you think would do better? There's not a manager in the world who'd consider coming to Everton that would have this team much better at all, the club is in a shambles. I think Poch is a world class manager, I also think Potter is very good, look at the state Chelsea are in with them though, goes to show that even the best managers can't do it when their clubs are in crisis, what makes you think anyone else could come in here and do better than Dyche is this season?

He's doing a good job ffs

That Southampton squad was a lot better than Dyche's Burnley

We're starting to get points on the board, still in the cup, the squad are playing for him and the way he's managed Dom is worthy of praise too
Think we'll be well above relegation zone come May

People who just say things like he got them relegated, are being disingenuous. Some just don't like the man - there's a snobbery. They downplay his achievement at Everton last season, and sneer at his efforts at Burnley.

If you're going to say he got Burnley relegated, maybe also mention the context. He joined in October or something when in Championship with Burnley in 14th. Got them promoted that season/immediately. They went right back down as favourites to do so. He got them promoted again and stayed up against the odds for a very long time and even had a season in Europe despite not having a pot to piss in. The season they went down, I think they stay up if Newcastle didn't activate Chris Wood's release clause that January. That was a massive blessing for us.

I read a Burnley fan comment the other day that Kompany spent more last summer than Dyche did in all his years there. Dyche averaged a net spend of £9m per season and at one time, with a wage bill of less than Ronaldo at Man Utd. To have kept them up for as long as he did was a real achievement. Apparently, Kompany spent more last summer than Dyche did in all his years there. This is what Kompany spent;

1699281839737.png

... and he'll send them right down.

Dyche's history is what it is - what I'm interested in is if he can kick on and develop and progress a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back