2024/25 Sean Dyche

I know but only from a selection point of view and even that’s after the norm has been reset over pre-season. There was countless arguments with people in the Iroegbunam thread when he first arrived about whether he’d play at all for the first team. He has a good pre-season though and everyone’s now an oracle for predicting he’d start?

The selection was very predictable though, I agree, and I would have liked I have seen Ndiaye OBrien or Lindstrom play. The tactics however were not predictable so I’m not sure why people are saying we played the same way we always do. If we had we’d have probably drawn at worst. Last season’s Everton in a low block isn’t being destroyed on transition.

Almost everyone on here was saying over the summer we need to see an evolution in the playing style. What we saw on Saturday was horribly executed but for me it’s just further proof that players like Keane Gueye Doucoure and DCL right down the spine can’t play possession based football. We tried similar last season until Dyche reverted us back to low block counter pressing and results came from that.

For me it will be interesting to see whether does he stick with this approach and integrate Branthwaite O’Brien Ndiaye Lindstrom, or do we go back to low block, counter attacks for Doucoure and DCL to chase.
So, why sign them then? If he sticks with his tried and tested, then we all know the selections.

There is no way, with those new signings, that the approach should stay the same, surely!

I wasn't there but watched from holiday and I didn't see enough of what you have said to be convinced he did enough to play differently, yes, some passages of play were better, but we essentially reverted to type once we conceded.

He, and his coaching team don't seem to have the variations that are required, "in game" to adapt. It's so frustrating to watch and know our low expectations will be fully realised. I didn't want him here, I have been glad at times he and his coaches somehow managed to perform miracles and keep us up, but that doesn't give him a free pass, in any way.

His not so guarded critique of the fans, post match, was the final nail for me.

Yes, he will get a few more months but tell me late September, if we continue this way, that he deserves more time and I will push back and many others will be calling for change with veracity.

If he changes, uses the new signings and hopefully one or two more and shows he can adapt, prior to and during games, then maybe he gets longer.

If he's here next season I will be amazed.

not sure what you are getting at saying that to be honest mate

I was being a bit facetious mate.

What I'm trying to say is we can all be fickle/short term in our points.

As the example - I just searched your post history the week we hired Dyche and the first one was;

All I’m hoping for now is a miracle to survive and these so called custodians are replaced. Gross negligence from the top along with terrible recruitment teams. A clean sweep can’t come soon enough.

We got that miracle.

We've had the so called custodians removed - but yet to be replaced.

Dyche has had to deal with the consequences of that "gross negligence" and "terrible recruitment teams" - and not just big point deductions.

What I'm suggesting then, is 18 months after those who are so vocal in their criticism of Dyche to consider tempering it with some reality.

It's not Dyches fault we're a basketcase of a club/relegation fodder. Equally, he wouldn't be our manager - through his own admission - if we weren't.

I hate making this argument because seeing Young in the team infuriates me, but again the unknown isn't always better than a negative known. In fact it very, very often isn't.

There's a balance here between desperation and wanting better.

E.g. When Rondon was stinking the gaff out as a lone striker for Benitez, Dobbin wouldn't have done any better, regardless of what people thought because he wasn't a striker. You might as well have argued Coleman should play there.

It's an age old thing with young players. As fans we say we should throw them in because they MUST be better than the rubbish weve been seeing, but actually experience should tell us that isn't the case at all. Even half the kids who do actually get thrown in don't end up being anywhere near good enough and thats after the manager has deemed them worth a try.

I hate seeing Young, Keane, Holgate, Maupay and one or two others in the team, but I'm not going to sit here and say that we should play the kids ahead of them when we have zero knowledge about the level they're at.

It's classic magic beans stuff and it's a well-documented psychological phenomenon. The unknown must be better than something we don't like. Actually, it usually isn't.
I’m would say 9 times out of 10 they won’t be good enough to have a career in the premier league. Can’t argue that.

However, If the manager doesn’t give them a chance, how can we know? Ashley young is 100% finished as a premier league player. That we do know. He proved it again Saturday. How many more times do we need to see it?

It’s not just this situation in isolation either. It’s Dyches MO. Hence why we saw zero unforced changes from last year to this year. And the only bright spot was the change he had to make.

Lets say it is, then what in the summer keep or fire him?
Then the same the season after?
For me, if he keeps us up again without marked improvement, and we have new ownership then a change would be good going into the new stadium.
It might seem harsh and I do think his roll up your sleeves attitude helped us stay afloat but he is just a better version of Big Sam in my opinion.
We will never challenge for Europe with his style and that's where we should be. The game is changing a lot and what Brighton did to us with a more modern style of play speaks volumes. It's old school management and tactics and though it served a purpose that a more progressive manager might not have been able to fulfill, it will never be anything more than that unfortunately.

I was being a bit facetious mate.

What I'm trying to say is we can all be fickle/short term in our points.

As the example - I just searched your post history the week we hired Dyche and the first one was;

We got that miracle.

We've had the so called custodians removed - but yet to be replaced.

Dyche has had to deal with the consequences of that "gross negligence" and "terrible recruitment teams" - and not just big point deductions.

What I'm suggesting then, is 18 months after those who are so vocal in their criticism of Dyche to consider tempering it with some reality.

It's not Dyches fault we're a basketcase of a club/relegation fodder. Equally, he wouldn't be our manager - through his own admission - if we weren't.

Ahh I got ya. I misunderstood what you originally said, my mistake, sorry 👍

So, why sign them then? If he sticks with his tried and tested, then we all know the selections.

There is no way, with those new signings, that the approach should stay the same, surely!

I wasn't there but watched from holiday and I didn't see enough of what you have said to be convinced he did enough to play differently, yes, some passages of play were better, but we essentially reverted to type once we conceded.

He, and his coaching team don't seem to have the variations that are required, "in game" to adapt. It's so frustrating to watch and know our low expectations will be fully realised. I didn't want him here, I have been glad at times he and his coaches somehow managed to perform miracles and keep us up, but that doesn't give him a free pass, in any way.

His not so guarded critique of the fans, post match, was the final nail for me.

Yes, he will get a few more months but tell me late September, if we continue this way, that he deserves more time and I will push back and many others will be calling for change with veracity.

If he changes, uses the new signings and hopefully one or two more and shows he can adapt, prior to and during games, then maybe he gets longer.

If he's here next season I will be amazed.

It’s one game. It doesn’t mean he’s going to pick that same 11 all season does it?

Need I say also that the same team (minus Branthwaite Coleman and Garner) had won five in a row at home without conceding a goal to finish last season.

‘hi lads based on not kicking a competitive ball for Everton im playing every single one of my new signings ahead of you, thanks for the five wins but you’re out’. I can’t think of any manager that does that.

A lot of those players didn’t take their opportunity though so it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see new signings come in to the line up moving forward.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back