The 2024 AFL Season Thread

What a game. Congrats to Collingwood. Frustrating to watch the Blues at the moment, capable of great football but also often wasteful in front of goal and naive in defence.

And Mason Cox can ‘Koff, the Richard Osman looking beaut.

@Cork Evertonian @perth_blue blockbuster for Carlton tonight. This is a must win, the table is so tight. Five teams on 48 points. A win will push them back into the top four, potentially second. A loss & they could be on the brink of falling out of the eight.

No greater incentive than playing the old foe. I'm backing the Blues.
I'll just be grateful to finish anywhere in the top eight now mate! Hopefully we might lift against your lot next week, but this bagger is not very happy right now!:lol:

@Cork Evertonian @perth_blue blockbuster for Carlton tonight. This is a must win, the table is so tight. Five teams on 48 points. A win will push them back into the top four, potentially second. A loss & they could be on the brink of falling out of the eight.

No greater incentive than playing the old foe. I'm backing the Blues.
What an absolute disaster the last 5 or so weeks have been. The way I feel at the moment don't want to make finals, as would be just making up the numbers. I have a feeling Curnow and maybe a couple of others are playing through injury. Rather get them into surgery now and ready for pre season.

If I were Brian Cook, I'd be ringing Adam Simpson and asking if he wants to get back in the box alongside Voss.

What an absolute disaster the last 5 or so weeks have been. The way I feel at the moment don't want to make finals, as would be just making up the numbers. I have a feeling Curnow and maybe a couple of others are playing through injury. Rather get them into surgery now and ready for pre season.

If I were Brian Cook, I'd be ringing Adam Simpson and asking if he wants to get back in the box alongside Voss.
We've gone from being in the top two to down to eight, with the Bombers, Hawks and Pies breathing down our necks.

I'm livid tbh we've pissed away our best chance yet to finish in the top four for the first time since 2000.

The players just can't cope when there is pressure and expectancy on them to deliver imo.

Some howlers last night as well. Bit of a poor week with umpiring.
Is there a professional sport where the rules are so open to interpretation / uncertainty as AFL?

* Holding the ball - prior opportunity no prior opportunity. One player is penalised, same situation minutes later the player is let off.
* Running over 15m without bouncing - how can you accurately gauge that? It is nothing more than guess work.
* In the back - how often does that get paid.
* Kicking the ball out deliberately - a player throws the ball onto his boot to clear it from defence & it bounces out, one moment it's a free next moment it's a throw in. How can you determine someone's intentions? The ball can bounce anywhere, players are penalised based on how the ball bounces.

There are other examples as well.

I love & hate this game with equal measure. Nothing riles me up more than watching AFL.

We've gone from being in the top two to down to eight, with the Bombers, Hawks and Pies breathing down our necks.

I'm livid tbh we've pissed away our best chance yet to finish in the top four for the first time since 2000.

The players just can't cope when there is pressure and expectancy on them to deliver imo.
You feel for McGovern, but players need to do better from set shots. So many forwards mark the ball well within range, not much angle & they 50/50 chance of slotting it through.

You're livid. I walked out of the lounge room several times absolutely fuming in the last quarter. I couldn't watch. Hogan marks the ball just before it goes through for a point while two defenders next to him scratch their arses. Third spot was up for grabs & the Hawks bottled it, lost all fight, they let GWS run all over them.
Still annoyed :rant:

You feel for McGovern, but players need to do better from set shots. So many forwards mark the ball well within range, not much angle & they 50/50 chance of slotting it through.

You're livid. I walked out of the lounge room several times absolutely fuming in the last quarter. I couldn't watch. Hogan marks the ball just before it goes through for a point while two defenders next to him scratch their arses. Third spot was up for grabs & the Hawks bottled it, lost all fight, they let GWS run all over them.
Still annoyed :rant:
Considering we took McGovern as a forward and have threw him down back, I was quietly confident he'd slot that, not dish up that slop.
There is talk he was dizzy due to a head knock, only he'll know for sure.

Hawks will be very disappointed from Sunday, I just saw your run in, post us, that's a definite 8 points, I don't fancy our chances currently.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back