The 2024 AFL Season Thread

It wasn't great. Players making poor decisions, poor kicking.

Some positives for Hawthorn. The intensity of the team around contested possessions. Lloyd Meek is starting to find his feet in ruck. Scrimshaw has lifted since Sammy gave him a serve a few weeks back. Newcomb seems to finding form again.

The game could have gone either way, fortunately it favoured the Hawks.

Sheesh, gotta feel some pain for Saints supporters. It will be another fruitless season.
Was the risk appointing the most negative clown in Ross Lyon, the footy he dishes up is so negative.

Can't be too long before the second half of fixtures are released?

Carlton, tonight is the night to step up.

Put your navy blue flag in the ground at the SCG. Time to cause a big upset & stamp your credentials upon the 2024 season.

Go forth bluefloggers in the name of David Rhys-Jones!!

Carlton, tonight is the night to step up.

Put your navy blue flag in the ground at the SCG. Time to cause a big upset & stamp your credentials upon the 2024 season.

Go forth bluefloggers in the name of David Rhys-Jones!!
He was voted best on ground in the 1987 grand final. Anyway oh dear Sydney Swans 117 Carlton 65!

A sobering and devastating defeat that is. The sort of one that will make or break a side.
There's another sobering stat here as well.

The Bombers are ahead of us on the ladder! Oh well we need to bounce back against the Gold Coast Suns and they seem to be a greatly improved side this year.

Carlton 102 Gold Coast Suns 73 i was worried enough about this one, after what the Suns did to the Cats last week.

But we won pretty comfortably enough in the end. The winning margin probably should've been bigger as well, but we eased up instead of hammering down the accelerator!

The Pies are still ahead of us on goal difference. The Tigers came close to beating the Bombers as well. Close but no cigar at the end of the day though!

I remember it well - unfortunately.

He won the Norm Smith because he nullified Dermie.
Rhys Jones was regarded as little more than a thug by some Carlton fans, but credit where credits due he came up with the goods that day.

You put things right in fine style against Melbourne a year later though. What a team the Hawks of the 80's were!

Which Hawthorn grand final win was your favourite anyway mate?

Rhys Jones was regarded as little more than a thug by some Carlton fans, but credit where credits due he came up with the goods that day.

You put things right in fine style against Melbourne a year later though. What a team the Hawks of the 80's were!

It would have to be 1989 vs the Cats.

There was a lot of tension between the teams going back a few season when Matthews belted Bruns. It just kept building. Come the grand final it erupted at the first bounce; Mark Yates ran from the wing & took out Dermie. He was coughing blood. At 1/4 time Platten was so badly concussed he had no idea where he was, didn't know what day it was. He played no further part in the game. Dipper finished with a punctured lung & was taken to hospital in an ambulance. It was a brutal game.

The Hawks held on with Geelong finishing strongly. It was our first back to back after two other attempts. Gary Ablett won the Norm Smith despite playing in the losing team. Here's an interesting fact. At the end of the 88 season Ablett signed with the Hawks (you probably know played with them briefly before Geelong), yet for some reason Hawthorn didn't lodge the paperwork with the VFL. No idea why. His brother was a great player - Geoff Ablett, wingman for Hawthorn.

Honourable mentions
2014 vs the Swans - we were completely written off & absolutely annihilated them. Very satisfying with it being Buddy's first season as a Swan.
2008 vs the Cats - after a 17 year drought it was great to win especially against Geelong. Wonderful for Crawf after 302 games.

What is your favourite Carlton flag - surely this one -

I watched an interview with Wayne Harmes years later, he was asked, did the ball actually go out. Wayne said, for all the Collingwood supporters out there, of course it did 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

The Hawks beat Brizzie today. Should have beaten Port last week. Could not believe we lost that.

Freo & Collingwood draw.

Carlton comfortably over the Suns

GWS hand out another spanking to Geelong at the cattery

The Hawks have found some mojo over the last six or so weeks.

Call me harsh, but they cannot put a game to bed. They play some decent footy, get a sizable lead & then invariably open the door for a comeback - dumb decision making, poor kicking, unnecessary free kicks..........

Been very quiet on here AFL lovers.

The Hawks continue on their winning ways. Good victory today vs GWS.

I would like to think we have the nucleus for the next premiership tilt. A bit premature on my part, I know.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back