• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

The Champions League Final - Spurs v The Other Lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind.

Poor.

Proud of my team though.

Always will be.

Loads of RS about in central London. So pleased none of them tried to engage in any bantz...think they could tell we weren't really in the mood.

Actually, maybe I would have enjoyed more it if they did.

I blame you. Personally. For letting the country down.

Hard lines mate. We were all behind ya.

Since I no longer live in the city and can distance myself from the celebrations I suppose it's easy for me to say that I'm not too bothered by this - as plenty of weary Blues noted, the second Dembele missed the chance to put Barca 4-0 up you kind of knew it was a possibility.

Still, while there is - should be - a little hurt, context is important. Imagine the casual football fan from anywhere outside of the UK this evening, checking out the CL final between two English teams, neither of whom had won a domestic league title in literal generations. What would they see? The grimmest and most technically limited final in recent memory, an utterly underwhelming game that, more than anything else, emphasises the underperformance of bigger teams like Man City, Barca, Real, Juventus etc.

It's why I was glad Spurs edged past Ajax in the semi. A Liverpool - Ajax final would've given a different narrative for kopites to spew, one of European giants returning to the biggest stage. Instead, they got Spurs and the vast majority of people just shrugged it off as a non-entity of a final. They'll wring it for everything they can, of course, but I'm certain there will be very little mileage in the "remember when our boys heroically bored a half-crippled Spurs side into submission" story - it won't carry much nostalgia.

Liverpool won't get any better than they are now. It's the closest they'll ever get to the PL, which is the much bigger fish for them. City were caught complacent last winter but still had the mentality to see it through. They won't make the same mistake again. Klopp's had an incredible run, no doubt, but the mentality he's done so well to cultivate will fracture at some point next season. I'm geniunely not worried in the slightest.

For Everton, we obviously have to hope Moshiri is looking at this and feels personal offense. Same for Silva and Brands. It's about time we became 'noisy neighbours'.

Since I no longer live in the city and can distance myself from the celebrations I suppose it's easy for me to say that I'm not too bothered by this - as plenty of weary Blues noted, the second Dembele missed the chance to put Barca 4-0 up you kind of knew it was a possibility.

Still, while there is - should be - a little hurt, context is important. Imagine the casual football fan from anywhere outside of the UK this evening, checking out the CL final between two English teams, neither of whom had won a domestic league title in literal generations. What would they see? The grimmest and most technically limited final in recent memory, an utterly underwhelming game that, more than anything else, emphasises the underperformance of bigger teams like Man City, Barca, Real, Juventus etc.

It's why I was glad Spurs edged past Ajax in the semi. A Liverpool - Ajax final would've given a different narrative for kopites to spew, one of European giants returning to the biggest stage. Instead, they got Spurs and the vast majority of people just shrugged it off as a non-entity of a final. They'll wring it for everything they can, of course, but I'm certain there will be very little mileage in the "remember when our boys heroically bored a half-crippled Spurs side into submission" story - it won't carry much nostalgia.

Liverpool won't get any better than they are now. It's the closest they'll ever get to the PL, which is the much bigger fish for them. City were caught complacent last winter but still had the mentality to see it through. They won't make the same mistake again. Klopp's had an incredible run, no doubt, but the mentality he's done so well to cultivate will fracture at some point next season. I'm geniunely not worried in the slightest.

For Everton, we obviously have to hope Moshiri is looking at this and feels personal offense. Same for Silva and Brands. It's about time we became 'noisy neighbours'.

Superb post mate.

Harsh they beat Napoli who lost Serie A by 1 point, the champions of France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and a top 4 team from the strongest league in the world in the final.

Scary is they will get loads of money for this, commercial deals galore and stadium expansion and they got that monkey off with winning this trophy.

It's awful being an Evertonian right now, Moshiri Silva and Brands have massive expectations even further now while them across the park are going to get better.
No it isn't. Beats being a wall-pushing beaut every time.

I'd also add, alongside the misinformation, the prize money will not be much greater for them winning it. They will need the prize money though, as they have a bigger wage bill than Manchester City. I'd imagine a few of their lads are going to want big extensions too. It's going to be interesting to see how it's financed.
Aren't they getting a kit deal with Nike for £100 million+ a year for 10 years.

I'm guessing that will help with their wage bill.

Ours was reported this week at £9.6 million a year with Umbro, shows the gap on and off the pitch there mate sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back