THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
Had a proper bit of momentum in the weeks leading up to Christmas, weights going up, meal prepping and gained about 2kg. Found it hard to get back in to it since then but worked out Sunday and done a load of meals and starting to feel it again

I used to get a bit of pain in my left shoulder whilst doing dumbbell chest press so I rotated my grip 90° so that my palms were facing inwards. An older bodybuilder gave me that tip years ago as he had very dodgy shoulders.

I know in my gym there’s a shoulder press machine with two different grips, so you can also do palms in.

Bit of a confession here, but I really like machines in addition to free weights. They’ve got a lot better over the years and you can really feel the pinch on a good one. They’re great for when you can’t be arsed lugging plates everywhere and drop sets are a doddle.
It’s funny you say that, at times when I’m DB benching and I feel the weight getting heavy, I naturally turn the weight with my palms facing in. It’s clearly my body protecting itself so might use this for shoulder pressing as well.

Aw 100% - I find when I ohp or dbp, I put so much effort into balancing my legs and core that I can’t focus on my shoulders as much. Not a bad thing by any stretch, but at least on the machine you can just your shoulder without worrying about stabilizing.

Cheers for the advice!

Yes mate. I’ve been carrying a problem in the front my right shoulder for about nine months now. I can feel it on push exercises but it’s very noticeable on a flat bench, less so incline or decline. I’ve had it before with the other shoulder and sadly they become more common. Can only only rest or work through them. Not sure it’s linked but since j started doing more cables it seems to eased it although that may just be time like the last time I had one last year on the other shoulder. The only other way is painkillers before training or eventually a small op. Train through it, adjusted, and it should eventually heal.
That’s actually sound to know - I’m going to avoid any push workouts until it feels better, then might ease my way back in with some cables and a grip change.

Until then I’ll just focus on pull exercises (and ones that don’t involve the World Wide Web ?)

It’s funny you say that, at times when I’m DB benching and I feel the weight getting heavy, I naturally turn the weight with my palms facing in. It’s clearly my body protecting itself so might use this for shoulder pressing as well.

Aw 100% - I find when I ohp or dbp, I put so much effort into balancing my legs and core that I can’t focus on my shoulders as much. Not a bad thing by any stretch, but at least on the machine you can just your shoulder without worrying about stabilizing.

Cheers for the advice!
No worries at all. I hope you find a solution as shoulder pain is very irritating to say the least.

I have chicken legs, but enough about what I'm having for tea. What's the best exercise for lower lats? Not to build them, but just to activate them; fire them up?
Yes mate. I’ve been carrying a problem in the front my right shoulder for about nine months now. I can feel it on push exercises but it’s very noticeable on a flat bench, less so incline or decline. I’ve had it before with the other shoulder and sadly they become more common. Can only only rest or work through them. Not sure it’s linked but since j started doing more cables it seems to eased it although that may just be time like the last time I had one last year on the other shoulder. The only other way is painkillers before training or eventually a small op. Train through it, adjusted, and it should eventually heal.
I’ve had exact same problem, probably your rotator cuff in your shoulder, must of injured it with bad form one day which caused too much weight being loaded onto the rotator cuff, mine healed in a couple weeks, try not to do any pushing movements or delts or any excercise that puts strain on the shoulder.

Yeh that’s what am getting at mate. I can get a 45 min session in at lunch and an hour after work in the evening. May do some midweek as busy for a few weekends now.

Need to make the most of these gainz.
Split the muscle groups sensibly and ditch the cardio on them days I reckon. That’s just a guess as I don’t know the science behind it but major HESSes.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back