THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
It's probably clear from how much I spam this thread, but I'm hooked at the moment. I've been five days in a row and I'm enjoying every single session. Having to make a conscious effort to take rest days.

Once again though I've become the sweatiest person in the gym by some distance. Not ideal.
It's awesome when you get in that groove. Keep an eye on your strength though, it can actually plateau if you over train and don't give the body time to recover. I've got a sweet spot of 4 sessions MAX per week to keep the strength gains going, and actually as I've hit mid forties I'm getting steep gains at 3 per week. It's as if you need less training to achioeve the same gains as you get older. Is your strength/numbers still going up?

It's probably clear from how much I spam this thread, but I'm hooked at the moment. I've been five days in a row and I'm enjoying every single session. Having to make a conscious effort to take rest days.

Once again though I've become the sweatiest person in the gym by some distance. Not ideal.
Be careful mate. I don't know how old you are but by your early forties your body isn't healing the way it used to and tendon injuries are common. Take rest days. Never train the same muscle 2 days in row. I speak from experience after 30 mths and several ops to try and fix my elbow tendons. The right is 50% torn and whilst the left has been repaired, the thing still swells up doing exercise.

If you're in your 20's just ignore me. Train 8 times a week and buy lots of mirrors!

It's awesome when you get in that groove. Keep an eye on your strength though, it can actually plateau if you over train and don't give the body time to recover. I've got a sweet spot of 4 sessions MAX per week to keep the strength gains going, and actually as I've hit mid forties I'm getting steep gains at 3 per week. It's as if you need less training to achioeve the same gains as you get older. Is your strength/numbers still going up?

Be careful mate. I don't know how old you are but by your early forties your body isn't healing the way it used to and tendon injuries are common. Take rest days. Never train the same muscle 2 days in row. I speak from experience after 30 mths and several ops to try and fix my elbow tendons. The right is 50% torn and whilst the left has been repaired, the thing still swells up doing exercise.

If you're in your 20's just ignore me. Train 8 times a week and buy lots of mirrors!
Cheers boys, I’m 35 now so I definitely need to be mindful. I probably am overdoing it slightly as my back has plateaued a bit for sure. I think I might finally start doing some cardio as I find whenever I have a rest day I’m much more likely to miss another day or do a half arsed session. For my mental health it does me the world of good going almost every day. Some days I go and just do a bit of arms and stretches etc.

I had 3 year long hiatus recently. This time round I’m a little less vain so I’ve stopped ego lifting and I’m focusing on form above all else, low and slow sets. As a result I’ve never had a chest so well developed as I have now and I’m still nowhere near what my peak strength was.

I’ve been seeing a physio about a persistent shoulder/neck injury and I’m in much better shape in those areas than I realised. I bumped in to her in the gym today. She commended my chin up form and I felt like a teacher’s pet lol

Gym had a small revamp and they put one of those sleds in that you stack weight on and push across the floor.

What's it for? Kinda intrigued but reluctant to push it hither and yon with no clue on technique / method.

Gym had a small revamp and they put one of those sleds in that you stack weight on and push across the floor.

What's it for? Kinda intrigued but reluctant to push it hither and yon with no clue on technique / method.
Its for pushing the protein around, covered in eggs and steaks first thing...

The thing about sled pushing is that it will make you absolutely BRILLIANT at pushing a sled. And maybe make your calves a bit stronger. I guess if you play sport it could be good but otherwise for me its a slightly low value use of training time. GM Vauxhall Conference compared to the La Liga of Squat/Bench/Deadlift.

I'm struggling to find the form I had first 2 months of the year. Back playing football twice a week (training and match) and that's having an impact.

Have a short holiday booked now over the next few days then try get myself back on a routine, especially with the brighter mornings.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back