THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
I've been getting pains at the front of my hip when doing back squats. I suspect it's due to a lack of ankle mobility. Shame as I was proving to be a bit of a beast with squats. Hopefully I can remedy the ankle issue otherwise I'll have to find some alternative exercises for the legs. I guess deadlifts for the back of the legs and something like the leg press for the quads

I've been getting pains at the front of my hip when doing back squats. I suspect it's due to a lack of ankle mobility. Shame as I was proving to be a bit of a beast with squats. Hopefully I can remedy the ankle issue otherwise I'll have to find some alternative exercises for the legs. I guess deadlifts for the back of the legs and something like the leg press for the quads
Hex bar worth a look if you've not tried that. There's almost always a way of modifying a lift if you're getting movement issues. Even just for a few weeks to let things settle down.

Might be teaching you to suck eggs, but have you tried elevating your heels when you squat?

Cheers mate no I hadn’t tried that. I’ll let things settle for a few days then give that a try
I’ve seen people use 1.25kg / 2.5kg plates in the past to stand their heels on. Also, you ideally want shoes with less cushion for exercises like squats. I used to take my shoes off for deadlifts. It made me feel a lot more stable and planted to the floor.

In other news, my trapezius on my right side is giving me a lot of grief. I seem to have aggravated it in work. I’ve used my massage gun on it a couple of times but it hasn’t really helped. Stings like a bitch when I pick up heavy objects.

I’ve seen people use 1.25kg / 2.5kg plates in the past to stand their heels on. Also, you ideally want shoes with less cushion for exercises like squats. I used to take my shoes off for deadlifts. It made me feel a lot more stable and planted to the floor.

In other news, my trapezius on my right side is giving me a lot of grief. I seem to have aggravated it in work. I’ve used my massage gun on it a couple of times but it hasn’t really helped. Stings like a bitch when I pick up heavy objects.
Try getting a foam roller in there or a hard massage ball eg cricket ball. Do that up against a wall.

Do some unilateral leg exercises for a few weeks - single leg bodyweight squat, or weighted split squat, or lunges

Yeah I see a lot of people doing both of those things. My shoes are pretty flat, but I'll try without
Do some unilateral leg exercises for a few weeks - single leg bodyweight squat, or weighted split squat, or lunges
That was my plan, just stick to things like lunges for a week or so, maybe with dumbbells

Cheers lads

I had a great chest session earlier today. I’ve not had a great couple of weeks as work has left me exhausted most nights.

4A45E3E5-82E5-4BAB-8498-8351A436DF1E.webp

Try getting a foam roller in there or a hard massage ball eg cricket ball. Do that up against a wall.
I did that today as per your advice. Stupidly, I’ve never used a foam roller before. It seems to have helped, so thanks for that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back