THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
*walks in to gym
*puts headphones on and turns them on

“Battery 10%, connected to iPhone”

Ffs. All my enthusiasm got up and left.
Had to stop listening to music while lifting when I realised that it was separating me from the exercise, like, I need to be able to hear myself breathe and I need ALL my focus on the different stages of the move. Squats has about five different sections... 1) Stick backside out, 2) Brace core and pelvic muscles, 3) drop downwards and backwards to parallel, 4) Squeeze glutes, 5) Drive up through heels ...and I know I need to do them all in the correct order or I'll be in deep trouble. Trying to do all that with Dizzee Rascal in my ears was impossible.

Hows your back training going?

Had to stop listening to music while lifting when I realised that it was separating me from the exercise, like, I need to be able to hear myself breathe and I need ALL my focus on the different stages of the move. Squats has about five different sections... 1) Stick backside out, 2) Brace core and pelvic muscles, 3) drop downwards and backwards to parallel, 4) Squeeze glutes, 5) Drive up through heels ...and I know I need to do them all in the correct order or I'll be in deep trouble. Trying to do all that with Dizzee Rascal in my ears was impossible.

Hows your back training going?
I know others who do similar. I’m so easily distracted and irritated, (part ADHD, part just a knob head) so music is essential for me. Nothing with lyrics, though. I find a good house or techno set really helps me get in to the zone and get that laser focus.

I need to mix up my back sessions I think. I find them a bit dull, but my gym has limited equipment. There’s only five machines for back, and two power racks which are very popular. My back sessions typically involve two variations of lat pulldowns and two rows, followed by rear delts, biceps and forearms.

What do you do for back?

I know others who do similar. I’m so easily distracted and irritated, (part ADHD, part just a knob head) so music is essential for me. Nothing with lyrics, though. I find a good house or techno set really helps me get in to the zone and get that laser focus.

I need to mix up my back sessions I think. I find them a bit dull, but my gym has limited equipment. There’s only five machines for back, and two power racks which are very popular. My back sessions typically involve two variations of lat pulldowns and two rows, followed by rear delts, biceps and forearms.

What do you do for back?
My back session is shockingly unvaried. I just do single arm dumbell row, and work up from 20kg at start of session to 50kg dumbells (but trying to improve top weight every few weeks). Zero pull downs cos it's never free, and zero pull ups cos my dodgy Trapezius doesn't like them. Then I do biceps and heavy forearm curls as my grip has to be strong in order to cling onto the dumbells for the row. Apart from bits of bicep and tricep, I've basically pared my training RIGHT back to Pull = only dumbell rows, Push = only dumbell chest press, Leg = only squat. It's not good because I'm no longer shocking my body.

Any proper PT (I used to be one) would frown at my routine, but I just get bored when I'm not simply walking in the gym and shifting the biggest dumbells I possibly can for 45 minutes. I gave up on the smaller muscle groups and all the 'upper/lower/inner/outer' muscles years ago, I just don't have time to fit it all in!

Just that floating out the gym after though, cannot beat it eh :)

Anyone done intermittent fasting? If so, how have you fared with it? How did it affect your workouts etc?
I done the 5:2 fasting during covid and killed me.

I’ve done 16:8 much better and sound with working out. @chicoazul gave me a good tip of doing your workout in the last hour of your fast. I tend to fast between 20:00 - 12:00 so try and do my workout at 11am. Hard when working full time that though

It can help you eat less - I find 16/8 great for killing snacks after dinner.
But if you're basically eating the same amount, just on a different schedule, it will do nothing.
Yeh you still need to be good during the 8 hours of eating like. When I first attempted it I’d find myself trying to pack in whatever I could during the 8 hours haha

Think so mate. It’s defo helped with the last hour of the fast and I don’t eat as much when the fast finishes lol. Haven’t struggled too much with energy also.
Is right. Just takes about a fortnight for your appetite to adjust and then it’s easy. Because your body is in ketosis from about 12 hours on it burns fat direct, so supercharges your work out.

You do it 7 days a week? I never bother at weekends fasting. Try to eat healthy still at the weekends like
Nah just from Sunday night to Friday say so 5/7. Always think diets have to be lifestyle applicable so this is easy as eat and drink what I want on the weekend without guilt. As you say after a while you choose to eat healthy on the weekend then you know you got it licked.

Is right. Just takes about a fortnight for your appetite to adjust and then it’s easy. Because your body is in ketosis from about 12 hours on it burns fat direct, so supercharges your work out.
That is absolute bollocks mate your body takes AT LEAST 24 hours to enter ketosis and thats only a few most ppl need to low carb for days

And burn direct fat is also bollocks like “fasted” cardio

on a diet alls that matters is cals in cals out how you do it is up to you

That is absolute bollocks mate your body takes AT LEAST 24 hours to enter ketosis and thats only a few most ppl need to low carb for days

And burn direct fat is also bollocks like “fasted” cardio

on a diet alls that matters is cals in cals out how you do it is up to you
You don’t know bodies, mate. One look at my sculpted features tells you all you need to know. Stick to snorting modern speed and rotting your remaining brain cells please. I’d bench you to the moon.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back