THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
Cheers, that was one of the things I wasn't sure about. So it's basically just a way to eat less. So I guess if you're trying to add to your muscle mass it's probably not helpful?
Just in general there is a massive amount of research (like 100 years worth) showing calorie restriction in animals can have significant effects on things like lifespan. Also intermittent fasting has been shown to have serious impact in rat models on things like inflammation, cholesterol, obesity etc. So proponents of IF will say the act of fasting itself is making you healthier - but there is no evidence of this being the case for humans. tbf building the sort of quality human studies that will give clear answers here takes ages, and we don't have them yet.

As for IF and building muscle I don't really know tbh - I lift and just eat my dinner as far as that goes.

Just in general there is a massive amount of research (like 100 years worth) showing calorie restriction in animals can have significant effects on things like lifespan. Also intermittent fasting has been shown to have serious impact in rat models on things like inflammation, cholesterol, obesity etc. So proponents of IF will say the act of fasting itself is making you healthier - but there is no evidence of this being the case for humans. tbf building the sort of quality human studies that will give clear answers here takes ages, and we don't have them yet.

As for IF and building muscle I don't really know tbh - I lift and just eat my dinner as far as that goes.
As with anything it really depends what and how you eat - IF works well with both building muscle and losing weight in my experience, but calorie intake is up to you and what you wanna do.

I’ve got fed up of my gym. It’s by far the worst I’ve been to in terms of hygiene etc. and it’s very limited in terms of upper body.

I did a session at another gym today and the difference was stark. Loads of different equipment, some of which I’ve not seen in a little while, such as a seated dips machine. It’s spotless as well.

I’ve got fed up of my gym. It’s by far the worst I’ve been to in terms of hygiene etc. and it’s very limited in terms of upper body.

I did a session at another gym today and the difference was stark. Loads of different equipment, some of which I’ve not seen in a little while, such as a seated dips machine. It’s spotless as well.

I've gone full tory when it comes to the gym mate. Can't stand the mess in the likes of Pure Gym and the big groups who come in and hog a bench or machine.

I've gone full tory when it comes to the gym mate. Can't stand the mess in the likes of Pure Gym and the big groups who come in and hog a bench or machine.
Ah, same. I’ve told people off for not putting weights back, and will happily take equipment if someone walks off to talk to their mates. It’s just poor etiquette and it and it negatively impacts others.

Can’t stand the big groups of kids. Their situational awareness is dreadful. Lost count of the occasions when they just walk in to you when you’re doing flys etc. My new gym is on an industrial estate so it’s harder for kids to get to.

What is it about being in a gym that makes folk pretend bins don't exist? It's right there next to the bench you've been sat on for 30mins while scrolling insta, but no mate leave all your crap for someone else.

Think people get the wrong idea about fasting. Thinking it's going a full day or two without food. Not eating from 6pm until 9.am is sufficient to give decent results.

Ah, same. I’ve told people off for not putting weights back, and will happily take equipment if someone walks off to talk to their mates. It’s just poor etiquette and it and it negatively impacts others.

Can’t stand the big groups of kids. Their situational awareness is dreadful. Lost count of the occasions when they just walk in to you when you’re doing flys etc. My new gym is on an industrial estate so it’s harder for kids to get to.
Here in Germany, someone draping their towel over 1 machine/bench, whilst going off somewhere else to use another or chat to someone, is very common

I can finally do a half decent amount of chin ups unassisted. I can only do 5, but at my best I could only ever do 10-12, so I’m pleased.

I got good at them by not ever maxxing out. If I could do 6 before fail, i'd do 5 sets of 4/5 then final set to fail. Found that was the best way to improve for me - every time you do one set to fail it's a struggle to do it a few more times with the fatigue.

Pull ups a different game altogether, always been shoddy with them.

When I was in Glasgow me and my housemate had a gym close by ours but went there twice and honestly it was as you described.

Extreme Gym was a walk away and (IIRC) 40 quid a month or something but just the difference in everything available, a deadlift "cage" area, all the everything you could want and it's actually cleaned very often was worth it.

As well as the fact that people who went there weren't knobs and put the weights back and all.

Back home now and a local gym opened basically next door, which is great. It's kinda small but has what I need/want, but the problem is now I can't really make any excuse not to go because I'm lazy really - it's a street over ffs

Two weeks in to my new gym and I’m really enjoying it. My training had become stagnant at my last one. It’s amazing how a change of environment can be so positive.

Also, I realised my gym trainers were far too soft in the sole so I got some Nike Metcon 7 and they’ve made a difference. It felt like I was stood on a bouncy castle for heavier exercises but my feet are much more stable and planted now. I managed to rep out two sets of military press at 50kg today which I’m pleased with.

Can’t stand young lads in the gym. 90% of them are just a waste of space that are more interested in their phones and flexing their nonexistent muscles in the mirror.

It shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does. In my new gym there’s two lads who come in wearing running shoes, yet they get changed in to flip flops. They take them off for every set and put them back on for each 5 minute rest/texting set. Infuriating.

Is it just me that gets their piss boiled by this?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back