THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
Just in general there is a massive amount of research (like 100 years worth) showing calorie restriction in animals can have significant effects on things like lifespan. Also intermittent fasting has been shown to have serious impact in rat models on things like inflammation, cholesterol, obesity etc. So proponents of IF will say the act of fasting itself is making you healthier - but there is no evidence of this being the case for humans. tbf building the sort of quality human studies that will give clear answers here takes ages, and we don't have them yet.

As for IF and building muscle I don't really know tbh - I lift and just eat my dinner as far as that goes.
Fasting gets a bad rep as if you need to go days without food. Eating at 6pm then not until 9am give you a good 15 hours which is fairly easy to fit into a daily routine.

Can’t stand young lads in the gym. 90% of them are just a waste of space that are more interested in their phones and flexing their nonexistent muscles in the mirror.

It shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does. In my new gym there’s two lads who come in wearing running shoes, yet they get changed in to flip flops. They take them off for every set and put them back on for each 5 minute rest/texting set. Infuriating.

Is it just me that gets their piss boiled by this?
They also run away at the thought of ever training legs or even give thought to any kind of conditioning.
Moved gym recently to move of studio style and it is much nicer, with posing non existent male or female, and no falling over tripods. Makes training far more enjoyable.

They also run away at the thought of ever training legs or even give thought to any kind of conditioning.
Moved gym recently to move of studio style and it is much nicer, with posing non existent male or female, and no falling over tripods. Makes training far more enjoyable.
This is my biggest peeve.

There’s a lad in my gym (he’s been training longer than me) and all he done was bench press. Whenever I squat or deadlift he’s there with his sage advice and sparrow legs. Never seen him do a leg exercise in my life.

I can now bench more than him and he just makes some excuse about “strength training” which just happens to benching!

Spot on.

To be honest I don’t even mind the posers any more, so long as they’re not bothering anyone else.

In other news I got an Apple Watch and I’m enjoying all the health and fitness data it brings. My heart rate got up to 159bpm doing weights today. Had to double check that was normal as I’d never seen it that high before. Made me worry for a few mins.

This is my biggest peeve.

There’s a lad in my gym (he’s been training longer than me) and all he done was bench press. Whenever I squat or deadlift he’s there with his sage advice and sparrow legs. Never seen him do a leg exercise in my life.

I can now bench more than him and he just makes some excuse about “strength training” which just happens to benching!
Reminds me of when I was on holiday in Morocco. There was a gym there and some fat bloke was using the smith machine, which was the only decent bit of equipment.

I asked him how many sets he had left and he said 16 lol

Can’t stand young lads in the gym. 90% of them are just a waste of space that are more interested in their phones and flexing their nonexistent muscles in the mirror.

It shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does. In my new gym there’s two lads who come in wearing running shoes, yet they get changed in to flip flops. They take them off for every set and put them back on for each 5 minute rest/texting set. Infuriating.

I hate the trend of wearing a jacket for their first lot of sets until the get a pump. Such strange behaviour.

This extended fasting stuff is nightmarish, every meal is a handful of sleepers, 30 minutes after eating and its the lead eyelids.

Ha ha mental that

Wheres that gym

Probably gonna have to cancel my gym membership, never really liked the gym and swimming is just annoying me. So many people pulling faces cos I have the nerve to swim within 10 metres of them.

Stepped up my walking, just me and my headphones walking along the prom, heavenly.
Gym culture has slid massively in the last 3-5 years. It never used to be like that. Don't let it bother you, mate.

I'm currently mulling over joining the local tory health club I'm that fed up of it all.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back