Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is English your first language chief ?
Conveniently leaving out that Robles role should be No 1 immediately.

Spending 6m on a backup keeper isn't an option here at Everton FC. It's not a luxury we have at our disposal. We should also mention that 6m was just your footy manager figure and the player you mentioned would likely fetch more. Even still the 6m price tag for a back up keeper is horrendous business given the simple fact that we have four other positions in a more desperate need that will replace either deadwood, or as a back up to the current first eleven.

Can you explain what he was supposed to do with that one? I mean honestly. He punched it out of his 18 through traffic of 3 boides. Ball is deflected on the shot and he can't see it.

Punch it for a throw in or out for a corner?

The punch was dreadful, and didn't alleviate the pressure at all. He got no distance on it whatsoever. In fact, from his punch the ball actually bounced in our area before it arrived at Willian outside the box.

Would you suggest a goalkeeping punch that bounces in our area and goes straight to an attacking player is a good one?!

One of the worst keepers in the premier league and we stick with him.

As bad as it sounds hope he either picks up a long term injury that won't ruin his career in the mls or Martinez stops thinking he is managing a club with no expectations.

Stuff like this makes me think he isn't cut out for the top level. Top managers are ruthless look at mourinho and Ferguson they got rid of players when they weren't useful anymore. Where as we act like a old peoples home ffs.

If we accept stuff like this we will just become a mediocre team.

Apart from Howard's fear of crosses, getting caught out of position, being beaten on his near post, etc, has anyone else noticed this thing that he does while he waits for free kicks to be taken (also shots from distance)? He constantly moves his weight quite heavily from one foot to the other, instead of just staying on his toes, so it means if he's leaning one way at the exact moment the kicker shoots the other way, it makes it very difficult for him to change direction and make the save.

I can think of at least two examples this season, off the top of my head. Gerard in the Anfield derby and Larsson away to Sunderland. Howard got his hand to both free kicks, but couldn't get across his goal quickly enough to prevent a goal because he was leaning the other way when they were taken. He'd have made quite comfortable saves with both free kicks if he'd just stayed on his toes.

I don't agree with those who've said we need to spend what little money we have on other positions. The keeper is the most important position in the team. If you have a poor keeper, it will cost you dearly, no matter how much you strengthen elsewhere. I know pretty much the whole squad has under-performed this season, but Howard's errors have cost us so many points.

Howard needs a keeper to challenge him, Robles is simply not doing his job of applying pressure on Howard to perform better.

We need rid of Robles and a better keeper to keep T-Dog on his toes.

Howard needs a keeper to challenge him, Robles is simply not doing his job of applying pressure on Howard to perform better.

We need rid of Robles and a better keeper to keep T-Dog on his toes.

It's Howard we need to replace. As a shot-stopper, where he has to make reaction saves that he doesn't have time to think about first, Howard can be brilliant. Wolfsburg at home and the World Cup match against Belgium spring to mind. This is why you get such differing views on him.

The problem is, with just about every other aspect of keeping, or whenever he has time to think about it rather than just reacting, he's found wanting. And I'm not just talking about this season either. He's always been like that, which is why Alex Ferguson binned him. He saw what Martinez apparently fails to see, despite the fact he watches all our matches at least ten times over.

Immediately in front of Timmy No Saves, then competing with a new goalkeeper. It's not difficult.
No saves... LOL.

6m for a backup keeper though?! Everton FC ?! LOL

Howard has had a lackluster season, like everybody else, including our manager who only on this very forum, the majority wanted him gone. How quickly the majority forgot about the season before, when the same manager had us playing the best football I've seen for 25 + years... 25 years !

I can understand it to a degree but it's clueless fickle footy knowledge. The same is happening with Tim. Only the fickle fan allows the bad to cloud the good and then to judge him entirely on it. Howard has been awful, can't deny that but so has Coleman, Jagielka for half a season, Alcaraz, Baines has really only huffed and puffed and that's most of your back four playing in front of him. Not to mention Distin.

It's of no surprise that when our best defender stepped in did our back four start to look organized and steady somewhat, which keepers need. He has made individual errors, can't deny that either as its there for all to see but so has everybody else in the team.

He's left a bad taste in my mouth this season but I'm not willing to turn my back on him on the basis of one bad season, a season in which you cringe at naming your player of the season. That's how badly it's been if we're honest. They've all been bad on a whole.

We don't need to spend our very limited resources on finding a new keeper just yet. Unless it's a freebie, the money we do have simply has to be spent in the positions we desperately need. He needs quality too which is why we cannot waste a penny in a position we are OK in, a position that is a want rather than a need.

Right back, center back, striker and a creative midfielder are paramount for this club once the window opens. Howard is a good solid keeper ( as he has proven to us) and like Martinez and a few others, will prove the critics wrong next season.

No saves... LOL.

6m for a backup keeper though?! Everton FC ?! LOL

Howard has had a lackluster season, like everybody else, including our manager who only on this very forum, the majority wanted him gone. How quickly the majority forgot about the season before, when the same manager had us playing the best football I've seen for 25 + years... 25 years !

I can understand it to a degree but it's clueless fickle footy knowledge. The same is happening with Tim. Only the fickle fan allows the bad to cloud the good and then to judge him entirely on it. Howard has been awful, can't deny that but so has Coleman, Jagielka for half a season, Alcaraz, Baines has really only huffed and puffed and that's most of your back four playing in front of him. Not to mention Distin.

It's of no surprise that when our best defender stepped in did our back four start to look organized and steady somewhat, which keepers need. He has made individual errors, can't deny that either as its there for all to see but so has everybody else in the team.

He's left a bad taste in my mouth this season but I'm not willing to turn my back on him on the basis of one bad season, a season in which you cringe at naming your player of the season. That's how badly it's been if we're honest. They've all been bad on a whole.

We don't need to spend our very limited resources on finding a new keeper just yet. Unless it's a freebie, the money we do have simply has to be spent in the positions we desperately need. He needs quality too which is why we cannot waste a penny in a position we are OK in, a position that is a want rather than a need.

Right back, center back, striker and a creative midfielder are paramount for this club once the window opens. Howard is a good solid keeper ( as he has proven to us) and like Martinez and a few others, will prove the critics wrong next season.
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back