Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinions changed on an ageing player shocker.
Not at all! I think your answer reveals more about your views than mine.

I was as surprised as anyone when he returned in place of Robles. But he played well after his return.

Lots of keepers went through bad patches last season, and several were dropped. I just don't agree that Howard was worse than them all.

Don't get me started on this or it'll start an off topic debate on M&M (Martinez and Management). In summary, though, you know it's really bad when keepers who were dropped played better overall than Howard...

He made about 10 mistakes that led directly to goals last season. I've listed them in here before so can't be bothered doing it again. He cost us about 14/15 points by himself. I doubt there were any keepers in the league worse than that.

But Opta disagrees!

QPR’s Rob Green made more errors (6) leading to a goal than any other Premier League player in 2014-15.

But Opta disagrees!

QPR’s Rob Green made more errors (6) leading to a goal than any other Premier League player in 2014-15.

Depends what you class as an error. Saves that are parried aren't classed as errors on the keepers part and he did 2 or 3 of them which he should have put elsewhere and the opposition scored from. Stats are important, but actual evaluation through watching is just as important if not more.

But Opta disagrees!

Depends what you class as an error. Saves that are parried aren't classed as errors on the keepers part and he did 2 or 3 of them which he should have put elsewhere and the opposition scored from. Stats are important, but actual evaluation through watching is just as important if not more.

He was definitely at fault for Gerrards free kick in the Anfield derby, by having a poor wall and starting position, and similarly for Larsson's free kick at the SOL. They won't be counted as keeper mistakes either. That's 4 or 5 goals right there that Opta won't count as Howards mistakes.

Fortunately, Green has signed for Chelsea, so it's not an option.

It's often difficult to fill the position of reserve keeper - I wonder if Chelsea considered Howard.

Chelsea have to keep an eye on their homegrown quota, I'm sure that was partly behind the decision to sign Green.

Begovic only has a year left on his contract and Heaton is leaving Burnley. Either would be a decent acquisition.

Opinions changed on an ageing player shocker.
thats a fair statement but alot of posters in this thread are going further back than last season, saying he's always been crap his whole career here just because he was bad last season. lots of recency bias going on

thats a fair statement but alot of posters in this thread are going further back than last season, saying he's always been crap his whole career here just because he was bad last season. lots of recency bias going on

He has always had faults and they have always shown, but not as regularly.

This season though, all of his faults came to the fore and were extremely frequent.

He has to go for us to improve.

I bet with Howard as our number 1 next season we improve on 11th.
Yes, it was quite a throw away comment by me tbh. Howard is very unlikely to be as bad as last season, and we have no Distin now. Hopefully Barry continues how he finished last season rath than how he started. We should finish higher than last for those reasons alone.

However, we should still be looking for a new keeper.

He has always had faults and they have always shown, but not as regularly.

This season though, all of his faults came to the fore and were extremely frequent.

He has to go for us to improve.
Every player as their faults though. if people are going to keep comparing every GK we have to Big Nev then all our keepers will look gash, the man is a legend. Yeah I agree about last season, Howard's never been great at positioning but his excellent athleticism covered it up before, but now its getting exposed due to age. Up until last season he was solid though. Also some of the shouts in here make no sense as the keepers suggested struggled just as much as howard last year ( Green and Begovic). I'd rather give Robles ago if Howard is benched or sold than spend 10m on a Begovic which could be better spent elsewhere in the squad

Yes, it was quite a throw away comment by me tbh. Howard is very unlikely to be as bad as last season, and we have no Distin now. Hopefully Barry continues how he finished last season rath than how he started. We should finish higher than last for those reasons alone.

However, we should still be looking for a new keeper.

I imagine we will be but with a view to installing him as number 1 in twelve months time, clearly Martinez and his staff don't think Robles can cut it and I hope we've got our eye on a young promising keeper to push Howard next season and then eventually succeed him in the near future.

Things seem to have gone very quiet with regard to that Nowrweigan lad we seemed interested in at Christmas, which makes me think we may have moved our targets on to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back