Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are looking for a certain profile of keeper mate, we want one that will hold their nerve in games with little to do, a keeper who will be commanding and authoritive in the box and also with his defenders breeding confidence and be competent under pressure when we are under the cosh. Especially with the philosphey of football we play i.e. playing fromt he back out.

You will always get keepers who play for the relegation threatened teams looking amazing, because they tend to be busier then those who are rarely called upon, id put Marshall, McGregor, Guzan, Heaton, Speroni and to a lesser extent Adrian and Fabianski in that bracket. We want someone who can keep their cool when not called upon often and can hold their nerve hen they are under pressure. Be constructive in their decision making out from the back. I think being the Everton keeper is a requires quite a wide psychological and practical skill set, depending on the game.
I heard Southall could do with some game time.....

My main problem with Howard
And this has been for a number of years not just this season is him making class saves to win us games

Can any of us remember him making de gea type saves late in games when we are 1-0/2-1 up and under pressure
I can't think of to many

It's not much use making a good save when we are 3-0 down

I think we are looking for a certain profile of keeper mate, we want one that will hold their nerve in games with little to do, a keeper who will be commanding and authoritive in the box and also with his defenders breeding confidence and be competent under pressure when we are under the cosh. Especially with the philosphey of football we play i.e. playing from the back out.

You will always get keepers who play for the relegation threatened teams looking amazing, because they tend to be busier then those who are rarely called upon, id put Marshall, McGregor, Guzan, Heaton, Speroni and to a lesser extent Adrian and Fabianski in that bracket. We want someone who can keep their cool when not called upon often and can hold their nerve when they are under pressure. Be constructive in their decision making out from the back, while holding their psychological nerve through malaise and pressure. I think being the Everton keeper is a requires quite a wide psychological and practical skill set, depending on the game.

neiled it. not sure mccarthy is that either, but i do really rate him. how green is ahead of him i don't know. especially given how much QPR have conceded, you would have thought he would have been given a go somewhere along the line. but you're spot on with what you're saying. like i've said all season, even though we've defended dreadfully all season, teams still don't have many chances against us. Most of their chances come from howard not coming for crosses anyway. a competent keeper would make most of our games this season look like routine ones for them and collected a whole lot more of clean sheets.

marshall pulled off some amazing performances last season, but you always see keepers down there like that, it's easier for their concentration because it's much like training where they're constantly making saves. the concentration to be sitting on your arse for 80 mins watching mccarthy and barry pass it sideways then all of a sudden have to pull of one save is a complete contrast. a lot of keepers can't make the step up.

I think we are looking for a certain profile of keeper mate, we want one that will hold their nerve in games with little to do, a keeper who will be commanding and authoritive in the box and also with his defenders breeding confidence and be competent under pressure when we are under the cosh. Especially with the philosphey of football we play i.e. playing from the back out.

You will always get keepers who play for the relegation threatened teams looking amazing, because they tend to be busier then those who are rarely called upon, id put Marshall, McGregor, Guzan, Heaton, Speroni and to a lesser extent Adrian and Fabianski in that bracket. We want someone who can keep their cool when not called upon often and can hold their nerve when they are under pressure. Be constructive in their decision making out from the back, while holding their psychological nerve through malaise and pressure. I think being the Everton keeper is a requires quite a wide psychological and practical skill set, depending on the game.

Not for the first time @Neiler has nailed it here.

I like Marshall, but think my call for us to sign him came from wanting literally anyone but Howard in nets.

We just simply have to have a new keeper.

Last edited:
Not for the first time @Neiler gas nailed it here.

I like Marshall, but think my call for us to sign him came from wanting literally anyone but Howard in nets.

We just simply have to have a new keeper.

same, haha. i want a keeper who's played for a top club or two who knows the pressure tbh. unless they're a young wonderkid.

Although I am still a believer in Martinez, I sometimes wonder if he has a double. I am sure the double must have been watching Palace and Leicester at Goodison. How Taleban Tim can be still ahead of Robles is bizarre. Robles who did nothing other than keep clean sheets and his eyes open when he stopped the ball.

My biggest fear is that the new season starts and out of tunnel jog Taleban Man and the Pale Messi.

Although I am still a believer in Martinez, I sometimes wonder if he has a double. I am sure the double must have been watching Palace and Leicester at Goodison. How Taleban Tim can be still ahead of Robles is bizarre. Robles who did nothing other than keep clean sheets and his eyes open when he stopped the ball.

My biggest fear is that the new season starts and out of tunnel jog Taleban Man and the Pale Messi.

He sticks to his faves no matter how poor they are, Howard is not the only one, add in Barry and Alcaraz. It would also seem Distin is way out now some row with RM, so he bears grudges as well.Upfront stands by Naismith, admittedly a trier but does have some bad games. With this sort of philosophy it does not look good for the rest of the season and next if he is still here.

As for the summer, who the heck knows what his eyes are on, the only one that seems sure is Cleverley, heaven help us, another useless Man U cast off. I do question the judgement of RM at times.

My main problem with Howard
And this has been for a number of years not just this season is him making class saves to win us games

Can any of us remember him making de gea type saves late in games when we are 1-0/2-1 up and under pressure
I can't think of to many

It's not much use making a good save when we are 3-0 down
I think you'll find he made important world-class saves in most of our victories last season (Both United games, both Arsenal games, the Goodison derby). As has been said here, there is PLENTY to criticize Howard for, but that's certainly not a reasonable one.

I think you'll find he made important world-class saves in most of our victories last season (Both United games, both Arsenal games, the Goodison derby). As has been said here, there is PLENTY to criticize Howard for, but that's certainly not a reasonable one.
Good saves, even some great saves in his earlier years.

LOL at world class though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back