Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good team has to have a good keeper at the back. it is the foundation that gives confidence to the rest of the team. How different would this season have been if we'd had De Gea in goal like United. When they were all over the shop he was saving points for them and they built on that and slowly but surely their confidence came back. On the other hand when we had confidence at the beginning of the season Howard eroded it (Palace home game is the season encapsulated, knocking it around brilliantly until Howard undermined the whole thing) and whenever we looked like getting back on track he halted that as well. Equally when Robles came in we stopped the rot with some decent performances whicch again turned sour as soon as Howard returned.

I'm fed up playing every match knowing that we'll probably concede at least one every game and every single one of our players know it. Even in the few games Robles was in there was a feeling of 'we're probably not going to concede with Stones Jags and Robles so lets actually start playing a bit'. For me it is the most important position on the pitch. We have two excellent centrebacks in front of Howard but they have a terrible record and look nervous all the time because of the clown behind him. Put a good keeper in this team and it changes everything.

I love this myth that Robles played well when he played

newcastle (a) he didnt offer a hand to any of the 3 goals
hull (a) clearly at fault for the Jelavic goal
city (h) only made 1 save
west brom (h) not a single shot to save
palace (a) absolutely shocking first 15 that could/should have see us concede 2 when he was saved by both cbs
liverpool (h) cant remember him having to make a decent save (i concede my memory of that game is sketchy)

I have to agree he isn't the Superman many believe. But he was hard done for not keeping playing until form descended. I think Martinez has to answer to that one. But overall mid table at that time was the best we could afford. A quality keeper will be a must to consider for the summer.

I think you'll find he made important world-class saves in most of our victories last season (Both United games, both Arsenal games, the Goodison derby). As has been said here, there is PLENTY to criticize Howard for, but that's certainly not a reasonable one.
The games at home v Utd & arsenal both comfortable victories
I can't remember a world class save by Howard in them games
Maybe you could post a vid of these???
The aways I can't remember these to be honest
As for the Goodson derby I remember a save late on from Suarez. But it was a good safe not a world class safe IMO
That game sums up the point I was trying to make

Liverpool had 4 shots on target and scored 3 we had 12 and mignolet made 9 saves including 4/5 one on ones

I can't remember any games off the top of my head in 9yrs him making world class saves to win us points
I'm sure there are games out there but even his biggest fans would do very well to find many

palace (a) absolutely shocking first 15 that could/should have see us concede 2 when he was saved by both cbs
liverpool (h) cant remember him having to make a decent save (i concede my memory of that game is sketchy)
Robles commanded his area well in all those games he made some good saves in the Derby - even the shot that hit the post a screamer Robles was at full stretch diving with his hands covering the shot my bet TH would have been stood still on the edge of his six yard box out of position with no attempt of a dive!

Robles commanded his area well in all those games he made some good saves in the Derby - even the shot that hit the post a screamer Robles was at full stretch diving with his hands covering the shot my bet TH would have been stood still on the edge of his six yard box out of position with no attempt of a dive!

watch the hull and palace games again mate.

haha this is getting ridiculous now

so Robles gets credit for a shot that beat him and it's used as a point against Howard when he wasn't even playing

I would school you again on this Joey but I fear it's becoming rather tiresome.

The worst offside trap in the universe was the reason for that goal.

so Robles gets credit for a shot that beat him and it's used as a point against Howard when he wasn't even playing

Mate he was brilliant against Palace.

He's so much better than Howard. Do we have to go to the stats, again ?

Pick any Howard game this season and you can say the same about him.

Of course mate. What about West Ham? You forget that one did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back