Votes: 199 61.8%
  • Off

Votes: 59 18.3%
  • Cheese On Toast

Votes: 64 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had us down for 10th before the season started. I'm more hopeful now, but we lack strength in depth up front, the defence doesn't look solid and there's an obvious weakness in goal. I think we can make Europe though, somewhere between 6th and 8th.

Ironic with the RS / Utd power grab plan ....you could argue that the PL has the greatest parity / most wide open title race ever this season. Were definitely in the mix for Top 4

1st time ever I would be disappointed if we don't get top 4. [Poor language removed] hell every other team seems to be in a shambles (,usually us ). Pickford could be our downfall though, his in another world at this stage.

With all the focus at the moment being on unsavoury hatred from that lot about Pickford’s clumsy challenge I thought we needed a different topic so who else believes we can make the top 4 this season?

Five games into the season and we’re top of the league, won four and drawn one.
Long way to go and not enough time passed to judge it but here’s why I think with a bit of luck and without big injuries.

We’ve got a team who can beat anyone
Carlo Ancelotti is world class and has done it all
James Rodríguez is world class and has done it all
Digne, Allan, Richarlison, Doucoure, Keane are all top players in their position
DCL is a goal scoring machine
We have competition for places with even under-performers from last season looking ok (Sigurdsson/Iwobi)
We have some good looking youth to learn and challenge the first team (Gordon/Nkounkou/Godfrey)

Our challengers look ropey:
Spurs just threw away a 3 goal lead against West Ham and created very little against us
Liverpool got smashed by Villa and don’t have VVD now
Man U are still completely inconsistent and got beat by Palace who we beat
Chelsea drew with WBA who we beat (and they nearly lost) and then threw away a lead against Southampton today
Arsenal look better this season and there’s no shame in losing to City and Liverpool but we got a point against Liverpool
City will probably win the league but got smashed by Leicester
Leicester lost to West Ham 3-0 who we beat in the cup (not like for like granted but 3-0 to West Ham is never good!

So, point is, so far we’re the most consistent performers whilst everyone else has been erratic. What do you think?
What do I think?

One
Game
At
A
Time.

I'm just glad that for now at least, the league has more or less gone back to the way it was in the old 1st division days, no top 4, no big 6.
That almost anyone out of 10, could, given a fair crack of the whip, a decent manager etc, put together a squad of players to give any of the others a run for their money.
Its 5 games in and early days yet.
Come back and look after 10 and then 20 games

marathon not a sprint.

Lot of the big clubs, like us, are in transition. Exciting times with a manager who is genuinely tactically astute and a squad with a good balance of hard work and stardust.

We’re gonna win it lads

#handitover

The most noticeable thing after albeit only 8 games ... is that we are handling the teams we should be comfortably. If we can keep consistency against these teams we will be in with the top 6 and if we can mange wins or at least not get beat against the top sides then top 4 is on. I fear that our defence is going to let us down... we can’t keep conceding every game as scoring 2-3 goals to win three points every week is unrealistic

With all the focus at the moment being on unsavoury hatred from that lot about Pickford’s clumsy challenge I thought we needed a different topic so who else believes we can make the top 4 this season?

Five games into the season and we’re top of the league, won four and drawn one.
Long way to go and not enough time passed to judge it but here’s why I think with a bit of luck and without big injuries.

We’ve got a team who can beat anyone
Carlo Ancelotti is world class and has done it all
James Rodríguez is world class and has done it all
Digne, Allan, Richarlison, Doucoure, Keane are all top players in their position
DCL is a goal scoring machine
We have competition for places with even under-performers from last season looking ok (Sigurdsson/Iwobi)
We have some good looking youth to learn and challenge the first team (Gordon/Nkounkou/Godfrey)

Our challengers look ropey:
Spurs just threw away a 3 goal lead against West Ham and created very little against us
Liverpool got smashed by Villa and don’t have VVD now
Man U are still completely inconsistent and got beat by Palace who we beat
Chelsea drew with WBA who we beat (and they nearly lost) and then threw away a lead against Southampton today
Arsenal look better this season and there’s no shame in losing to City and Liverpool but we got a point against Liverpool
City will probably win the league but got smashed by Leicester
Leicester lost to West Ham 3-0 who we beat in the cup (not like for like granted but 3-0 to West Ham is never good!

So, point is, so far we’re the most consistent performers whilst everyone else has been erratic. What do you think?

My eyes tell me yes, absolutely. I feel like we are about to score every time have possession or a set piece - a feeling usually reserved for champion contenders. We have a proper striker and a world class creator behind him. Midfield is tidy. Defense is a bit shaky at times but whose isn't in this league?

My head and heart keep making excuses as to why my eyes are lying to me.

Not being in Europe this year is massive, covid is making things hard in enough as is but mixing international travel with that makes it difficult for the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back