Match Thread Tottenham Hotspur 4-0 Everton (Sat 24 Aug, 3:00 PM)

Your Everton MOTM vs Spurs

• Jordan Pickford

• Roman Dixon

• James Tarkowski

• Michael Keane

• Vitalii Mykolenko

• Idrissa Gana Gueye

• Tim Iroegbunam

• Jack Harrison

• Abdoulaye Doucouré

• Dwight McNeil

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin

• Jesper Lindstrom '57

• Iliman Ndiaye '57

• Beto '72

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mykolenko has always been a quiet bit of class?
I'm sorry mate...I respect your opinion but in my opinion he's the worst left back we have had since an old Kenny Sansom....
Constantly out of position....weak in the tackle.....no pace and offers nothing going forward.
I just can't see anything positive...
Am I missing something?
Have to disagree. He's shown he is a capable defender....his attacking attributes are the question.

Beginning to think those who said Garner was rubbish may be seeing how important he is to the team now.

Any player who misses a couple of defeats is instantly praised as the missing piece.

Gueye has been terrible in the first two games but all the blues in work were saying how much we missed him when he missed the West Ham and United games in March.

Have to disagree. He's shown he is a capable defender....his attacking attributes are the question.
The modern game however is about attacking full backs (wing backs in old money if playing a 3-5-2) - now that level of attacking can vary as can the quality, but he is not the most progressive of attacking full backs and his attacking quality is questionable (and that is me being kind). He was a purchase by Benitez so that explains a lot of things in terms of how Benitez wanted to play. I just don’t think you can have a purely defensive full back in the game any more, even Van Den Hauwe and Stevens attacked and that was in the eighties

I don’t think the forum is properly understanding how at this level decent players can backslide behind poor coaching. There are a lot of people who think we have an entire team of players who can’t pass a football and that is just not true.

They are low quality players, I know the point you are making, but the problem isn’t coaching, it’s a lack of talent - there is adapted and innate attributes to the game, we lack the latter.

It’s a collection of bad players.

Last edited:
They are low quality players, I know the point you are making, but the problem isn’t coaching, it’s a lack of talent - there is adapted and innate attributes the game, we lack the latter.

Playing real football is not beyond them. It simply isn’t.

Playing real football is not beyond them. It simply isn’t.

They are subjective concepts to be fair, what’s real for you - isn’t real for everyone.

I think they are low quality players, particularly in the attacking unit, millions has been spent on coaching them all over the years, here, elsewhere - their ceiling will always be their ceiling due to quality.

They are low quality players, I know the point you are making, but the problem isn’t coaching, it’s a lack of talent - there is adapted and innate attributes the game, we lack the latter.

True most of our players can pass a ball, just not very good at it and it is very rare to see three or four successful passes in one movement.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back