Worst Beer/Lager Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's brewed just up the road from me in Plzen, it's the go-to cheap lager here. The 11, Excellent, is a smashing lager, but the 10 is really underwhelming.

It depends on when you drank it, because the brewery was sold between foreign owners in 2017. It wouldn't have been Heineken, they moved into the Czech market by buying the Krusovice brewery a few years back. Their strategy was to position Heineken as the blue ribbon brand here at the head of the Krusovice range.

I can't attest to their success, but it always seemed a longshot because most foreign beers are dismissed as over-priced and under delivering. As to the Czech contender for this particular crown, none will come close to the worst, because Carling exists. However, the Chodovar brewery has produced some shocking beers over the years. Unremarkable at the time of drinking, the next day your skull will feel three sizes too small for your brain and your stomach will behave like you knocked back a doner kebab after loading up on mutton vindaloo.
I think the stuff I drank was brewed by the grivita brewery in Bucharest, formerly owned by Heineken. What I'm less clear about now I've looked into it more, is if it is the same beer as the Czech stuff, or they just share a name. It wasn't great either way.

I tell thee, I was hugely disappointed to find that Heineken and carlsberg are ubiquitous in Romania. There's a few good native beers but they're crowded out by the the same strategy as Heineken you describe.

Having said that, it's the wine and spirits that are the good stuff there.

I think the stuff I drank was brewed by the grivita brewery in Bucharest, formerly owned by Heineken. What I'm less clear about now I've looked into it more, is if it is the same beer as the Czech stuff, or they just share a name. It wasn't great either way.

I tell thee, I was hugely disappointed to find that Heineken and carlsberg are ubiquitous in Romania. There's a few good native beers but they're crowded out by the the same strategy as Heineken you describe.

Having said that, it's the wine and spirits that are the good stuff there.
Just done my own research, it's a Romanian brewery from 1901 that was snaffled up by Heineken. Because all the world wants is Starbucks, Big Macs and crap lager.

Gambrinus is a folklore figure, a kind of patron of brewing and getting bevvied up. Our kind of lad.

God damn it, all this talk of interesting foreign booze is making me badly miss being able to easily slope off for a fun short break somewhere interesting. Damn you covid.
You ever get across to Czech I'll take you on a tour of whichever city you fancy.

By that I mean slip you a rohypnol and leave you needing the services of a consulate to repatriate you.

Oh hang on, another contender. How could I forget!

Whilst out with a few mates in Birmingham we ventured into a bar, new at the time, called 'The Pint Shop'. Typical of the kind of achingly wannabee cool bar springing up there. Loads of overpriced 'concept' beers. My mate plumped for a rhubarb flavoured beer. Utterly disgraceful. Think it was £5 for the 'pleasure'.

Pleasingly said bar closed, apparently due to the pandemic. Or so they claimed. More likely because it was just all kinds of contrived turd.

Used to work in a bar in Edinburgh and people would turn around and walk out if we were out of Tennants. lol

A mate of mine used to go out with a lad, whose family owned and ran the most most beautiful little country pub on the cusp of the N York moors and Teeside.

The locals would boycott the pub if he didn’t have John Smiths on.

This was despite the fact that they always had at least 3/4 really well kept real ales on the go lol

A mate of mine used to go out with a lad, whose family owned and ran the most most beautiful little country pub on the cusp of the N York moors and Teeside.

The locals would boycott the pub if he didn’t have John Smiths on.

This was despite the fact that they always had at least 3/4 really well kept real ales on the go lol
Across the road from the Turks Head in St. Helens, a truly marvellous pub, you have the Cowley Vaults. It's a twenty-five yards, at most from wall to wall.

One serves brilliant pints of ale. The other once proudly produced a sign stating 'Best pint of Carlsberg in all St. Helens', and it actually drew people in.

Baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back