Worst Beer/Lager Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Skol mentioned in the Everton forum, and Chang mentioned the other day, and wondered what the GOT consensus is on the worst ale out there? Or even a discontinued one.

Carling, Chang, Skol and a homebrand Aldi one from uni I can't remember the name of for me are the worst, but I honestly think Chang at Goodison was the worst of the lot.
That would be Galahad.

For me, the absolute worst is Carlsberg in the green cans. Awful flavour.

Incidentally, I’m sitting here with my latest home brew, a honey and lemon IPA at 8%.

Heineken in Holland is good stuff, as is Amstel - actually tastes of something.

The worst draught I’ve had abroad is Jupilier in Belgium.

Tastes like salty water.
Yes! Jupiter is widely considered to be utter piss in Belgium.

I think I had a pint of Gambrinus in Romania. I think it's Czech in origin, but brewed under license by Heineken or the like. It was utter utter plop.

We went to a beer festival in Stanley dock about 30 years ago and my mate asked the servers to chuck out the JW Lees half he’d just bought. “Was it not to your taste ?” , “It tastes like you’ve been washing your tights in it “ , put me off ever since.

I had a couple of pints of Lees bitter in really nice Lees pub, out at the back of Delamere - the Goshawk and it was really good.

It’s like Hyde’s and Holts, an acquired taste and nasty when not looked after.

Carslberg 68 in bottles is very good too, again has to br drunk ice cold or tastes like Barley Wine.

Mega rare and expensive now too.
Not like this though, or have I been missing out

Yes! Jupiter is widely considered to be utter piss in Belgium.

I think I had a pint of Gambrinus in Romania. I think it's Czech in origin, but brewed under license by Heineken or the like. It was utter utter plop.

It's brewed just up the road from me in Plzen, it's the go-to cheap lager here. The 11, Excellent, is a smashing lager, but the 10 is really underwhelming.

It depends on when you drank it, because the brewery was sold between foreign owners in 2017. It wouldn't have been Heineken, they moved into the Czech market by buying the Krusovice brewery a few years back. Their strategy was to position Heineken as the blue ribbon brand here at the head of the Krusovice range.

I can't attest to their success, but it always seemed a longshot because most foreign beers are dismissed as over-priced and under delivering. As to the Czech contender for this particular crown, none will come close to the worst, because Carling exists. However, the Chodovar brewery has produced some shocking beers over the years. Unremarkable at the time of drinking, the next day your skull will feel three sizes too small for your brain and your stomach will behave like you knocked back a doner kebab after loading up on mutton vindaloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back