2023/24 Dele

I'm letting the thread breathe
Like a good bottle of nice chianti...

f158286f-2d8c-4a1f-9739-70a5f4a02180_text.gif

The headline says

"EXCLUSIVE Everton reach agreement with Tottenham over future payments for Dele Alli - even though the forgotten England star is now a free agent"

There are going to be "future payments"
Yes, if we sell the player on, it is a sell on clause.
As we have not paid any transfer fee it will be all profit.... if we sign him, if we then sell him.
If we don't seel there are no future payments as with all contracts of this kind.

But anyway, I think what Damo is trying to say is this.

Dele had a contract with Everton, which has now expired.
Separate to this, Everton have a contract with Spurs, that we are led to believe had the following clauses.

If he plays 20 games 10m
If he plays another 20 games 10m
If he plays another 20 games 10m
Spurs have a sell on clause if Everton sell him
Spurs are due a fee if Dele signs a new contract at Everton

Spurs have now waived the clause for Dele signing a new contract, but they wish to retain the 20 games clauses and the sell on.

I think thats what Damo is attempting to say.

Sorry to litter the thread.
The sell on clause has been mentioned but no mention of money due after a number of games played.

Spurs are not in a strong bargaining position.
If Dele leaves Everton then Spurs are completely out of the picture. They get nothing regardless of what happens in the future.

If Dele is a success and Everton then see him on then Spurs get a % but Everton get a fee for a player that cost nothing.

Yes, if we sell the player on, it is a sell on clause.
As we have not paid any transfer fee it will be all profit.... if we sign him, if we then sell him.
If we don't seel there are no future payments as with all contracts of this kind.

"as with all contracts of this kind"?

There are going to be future fees due. Just as before.

What exactly is the nature of the future fee ?

An agreed amount after so many games ?
A sell on fee in the event of a transfer ?
Something else we haven't thought of ?

" Just as before " means we are going to owe Spurs money if Dele plays a defined number of games , that was the arrangement when he first signed.

I have not seen that mentioned but you may be correct and we will have to pay Spurs money if he does play....we will have to wait for more clarity on the deal to see if what you are saying is correct.

Only if we offer him a new deal and we get an offer to sell, that would be the percentage of sale to Spurs. All that other stuff pre his contract expiring, like the £10m for 20 appearances etc, that’s gone

Only if we offer him a new deal and we get an offer to sell, that would be the percentage of sale to Spurs. All that other stuff pre his contract expiring, like the £10m for 20 appearances etc, that’s gone

I’m not sure that’s true and Damo might be right. According to bbc sport we no longer have to pay a fee to spurs for renewing Dele’s contract but some of the other fees might still be applicable;

“Many of the remaining parts of the January 2022 deal between Everton and Tottenham are still in place, including performance-related bonuses due to Spurs based on Dele's activity on the pitch and a sell-on clause.”

If that’s the case then I’m definitely not convinced on this deal, if we did sign him, particularly since I’d imagine a lot of his appearances will likely be from the bench - at least initially.

We all know someone in person that acts like they know everything, will go on and on and on to prove it, be wrong a large majority of the time, never admit it then at the end act like they had you off and celebrate like the fat kid not picked last for once whilst everyone else just thinks what a bell.
@davek is banned at the moment. He can't defend himself. Shame on you.

I think it's more likely the two clubs are just taking a stance that the boy needs some stability and just throwing all the legal complexities out the window. Compassion.
If they demand a big fee we won't offer a contract and they'll get nothing. Spurs have a chance to look like the good guys without losing anything.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.