Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
You obviously know waaaay more about this than most (to be honest, like a lot on here, I didn't really know who Usmanov was a few days ago) but I think you're thinking like an accountant here (but hey, Moshiri is an accountant, right?) and assuming the cool head of business will apply fully in this situation. People don't buy premier league clubs for the same reasons that they buy property, they buy them for the same reason they buy Ferraris: status, to impress their mates and to excite the nether parts of impressionable women. It seems to me that Usmanov currently part-owns a Ferrari that he's never going to be able to drive.

I don't think you can compare football with property; there aren't Turkish property ultras stabbing visiting architects in the arse with jarg flick knives. When Farshad Moshiri's parents were smuggling him out of Persia in a rolled-up rug he didn't take one last look at his room and quickly grab his signed photo of Kirsty and Phil as the roof fell in. He grabbed his Panini "Argentina 78" sticker album (which was almost full: Moshiri's main regret to this day is that he has never been able to source the sticker for Hungarian defender Tibor Nyilasi.)

Long analogy short: Usmanov is stuck in an extremely desirable North London Property but one where he's not allowed to make any decisions about the decor and he has to sleep beneath the stairs like Harry Potter. His mate has bought a historic "fixer upper" in the North and is about to totally redo the place to his liking: he's tastefully reimagined the Georgian architecture and the planning permission for the sex dungeon has already been waived through. Usmanov will ring Moshiri up from his classy London dinner party and hear Farhad recreating the last days of Rome, face down in a pyramid of lemo, Scarface-style, as he watches while the Swedish female beach volley ball have started to massage each other after a hard day's training: it's really hot in the steam room, and even though beads of sweat form on their midriffs the sand has left their skin a bit dry so they have to get the baby oil out and ........er what were we talking about again?
...and I always thought Turner was a brilliant painter...never knew his talents extended into the literary : very enjoyable read that mate.;)

It'll be interesting to see how public and transparent Moshiri is with the fans.

Hopefully as soon as the PL confirm the share purchase that there's an interview and an article on the OS with him outlining his plans, vision and what he expects of the club both on and off the pitch.

Martínez does not expect Everton to be transformed into Champions League contenders overnight. He admits the likes of Stones and Lukaku will have to buy into Moshiri’s plan to resist overtures from other Premier League and European admirers this summer.

“We need to create a football club that the player wants to be part of,” he explained. “It is no good us saying: ‘Yes, we will keep such and such.’ If they don’t want to stay it will be the wrong investment. But if ‘such and such’ want to stay, can we make them stay? The answer now is yes. It is as simple as that. Every case is an individual case. Ross Barkley, for example, is an Evertonian. He can get at Everton anything he could get at another club. And it is his club. So that’s that answer. Everyone else, we don’t know what their aims are and what they want to do but we will never lose a player now because we are unable to give him what he deserves, put it that way.”

Appreciate that a lot of what we have heard over the last couple of days has generally been speculation by gifted or not so gifted amateurs such as myself as well as a smattering of our GOT professionals with their various reasoned and intelligence based assesments mixed in with thier own professional qualifications and the usual mix of jarg journo's and jealous kopites - the bottom line remains however that time will tell and hopefully our desire to hear something firm in terms of plans from the man himself will be satisfied as early as possible. (tell us NOW!!!!!)

Bobby was clearly quite excited yesterday (I know hard to tell if he was more positive than usual - but I think he was). The bits above indicate to me that Bobby's chat with Mosh was a good one and that there is a clear vision and plan that Mosh was willing to outline. I think that it is clear that Bobby is very good at minding his Ps and Qs having surely had some idea that all of this was going on in the background whilst the other specualtion was masking it and to say the things he did in the presser yesterday or quoted above (if true), he must have had the green light to give - otherwise we would have surely had a "dont know the details, concentrating on Villa" type presser.

I'm still buzzing over this, trying to keep calm and whistle Z cars, but I'm not sure after all these years of despair how long I can last before I join the campaign to rent a plane to fly the questions we have for Mosh over Goodison - We'd probably need a 747 to pull a banner big enough for the amount of questions - do they do that?

COYB!!!!!!

To be fair i do think Moshiri will bring other investors into the club, at the end of the day Billionaires know other Billionaires and people of power. It may not be Usmanov, it might be.

One thing is for sure is Everton are on the up and we're all here for what most would think will be one hell of a ride.

Oh I really hope beyond all hope that is the case - I keep singing if you know your history whilst pottering round the house - Mrs Toffee is getting a bit cheesed off!

The Usmanov Question - why he won't be buying into Everton

The Premier League is real estate with a limited number of properties (clubs). Few investors can access this market, and most of the desirable properties have already been acquired. Clearly Usmanov is a big fan of the Premier League, has committed resources to it and wishes to increase that exposure. Similarly Moshiri is of the same opinion.

How do they both achieve their aims of increasing their investment exposure to the Premier League? Arguably a week ago the answer was to hope for Kroenke to sell his majority holding in Arsenal to Red and White Holdings, however given this is unlikely to happen in the near time, and the desire is to increase exposure now how do they achieve this?

Red and White holdings provides Usmanov and Moshiri with approximately £400 million worth of exposure to the Premier League between them. By Moshiri selling to Usmanov, Usmanov increases his exposure to £400 million. Moshiri in the meantime switches his exposure from Arsenal to a more risky but with higher growth potential investment in Everton.

Result - their combined exposure (I'm not saying they're working together, far from it, just from an asset allocation position) has increased by 50%, Usmanov now has a larger interest in his beloved Arsenal and Moshiri has a higher growth potential investment in Everton and he's running the show.

So, for Usmanov to buy Everton he would now have to sell his enlarged position in Arsenal, and reduce his exposure to the Premier League and Moshiri would lose control of his own football club, something we believe has been an ambition for a long time.

A Very interesting take and perspective on the matter @The Esk, i know it's just your own opinion and such but a few counter arguments to what you said.

Kroenke will not let go of control of Arsenal, additionally he has stated numerous times he sees it as something he will leave to his children when the time comes, he rose to cpontrol of Arsenal primarily due to the backing of the then board being an opposition to Usmanov, since taking control he has kept Usmanov on the outside and rebuffed time after time any attempt for him to take any form of control or influence at the club, I don't see that situation EVER changing

Usmanov has clearly stated he wants control - by words and his actions, eventually won't there come a point that he relaises it will never happen at Arsenal - at that point why would he stay at the club knowing every attempt he can make will be futile?

Now for my own conspiracy theory take on things.

Usmanov and Moshiri could not invest or take ownership in any club whilst co owning 30% of Arsenal via red and white holdings, by selling one to the other they have basically freed one of them up to come into a club and start the groundwork for the others arrival, in terms of gaining control and not facing a situation ala happened at Arsenal, in order to raise the profile, start the ground move/redevelopment and in order to give the other party time to fetch the maximum price for their stake in Arsenal (or potentially make one last serious push at gaining control)

I'm betting that the price per share of Moshiri buying us compared to the price per share if it was Usminov coming in would be significantly larger

The track rtecord of Usmanov and Moshiri is one of working together for nigh on 25 years? both have the same aim - to have control of the direction of a club - but they share the same vision of how that could be done - as evidenced by their open letter to Arsenal of 4 years ago, I don't see one acting compltely independant of the other. Also i think the American interest kind of forced there hand from sitting and waiting for the situation to fully resolve itself at Arsenal one way or the other - with us as a contingency plan for them, to havign to act now - hence the quick sale of Moshiris half of red and white holdings and purchase of us.

Be interested to hear your take on what i have posted mate

Appreciate that a lot of what we have heard over the last couple of days has generally been speculation by gifted or not so gifted amateurs such as myself as well as a smattering of our GOT professionals with their various reasoned and intelligence based assesments mixed in with thier own professional qualifications and the usual mix of jarg journo's and jealous kopites - the bottom line remains however that time will tell and hopefully our desire to hear something firm in terms of plans from the man himself will be satisfied as early as possible. (tell us NOW!!!!!)

Bobby was clearly quite excited yesterday (I know hard to tell if he was more positive than usual - but I think he was). The bits above indicate to me that Bobby's chat with Mosh was a good one and that there is a clear vision and plan that Mosh was willing to outline. I think that it is clear that Bobby is very good at minding his Ps and Qs having surely had some idea that all of this was going on in the background whilst the other specualtion was masking it and to say the things he did in the presser yesterday or quoted above (if true), he must have had the green light to give - otherwise we would have surely had a "dont know the details, concentrating on Villa" type presser.

I'm still buzzing over this, trying to keep calm and whistle Z cars, but I'm not sure after all these years of despair how long I can last before I join the campaign to rent a plane to fly the questions we have for Mosh over Goodison - We'd probably need a 747 to pull a banner big enough for the amount of questions - do they do that?

COYB!!!!!!

Yep. In terms of the squad, it seems plain to me that Moshiri has basically said to RM that he's willing to provide funds for wages.

This is what I meant when I went in the transfer thread and said 'at least if a player does leave us now, it will be down to footballing reasons'.

The TV money, combined with this investment, to me means that soon enough we will be hitting players on the 100k p/week mark. Now, obviously that will still only be the very top players, but it does make RM's job of convincing our best players to stay an awful lot easier - as the gulf in wages that can be offered is getting smaller and smaller.

It may also represent the difference in being able to offer an extra £5mil for a player we really want - or another £10k p/week on his wages, without having to worry where all of the money is coming from.

Do you think they are just in it for investment returns/exposure though ? If that was the case they can invest in any number of industries, some much more cast iron guaranteed than the PL.

Why has Moshiri (the sensible accountant with less disposable dosh) chosen to go for the riskier investment vehicle if it's not about taking the control of a PL club rather than building an investment portfolio ?

Mate Usmanov isn't in it for the money - neither is Moshiri by everythign i've seen, they arent people who need sport to make their money - say like the Glazers or FSG, they do it as a side project because they just enjoy sport, they make obscene ammounts from their other businesses and whilst they are both passionate about sport it's not done as a way to make them more money but rather as it seems they like it.

Usmanov has so many fingers in so many absolutely huge companies in Russia and non Russian companies it's obscene

Mate Usmanov isn't in it for the money - neither is Moshiri by everythign i've seen, they arent people who need sport to make their money - say like the Glazers or FSG, they do it as a side project because they just enjoy sport, they make obscene ammounts from their other businesses and whilst they are both passionate about sport it's not done as a way to make them more money but rather as it seems they like it.

Usmanov has so many fingers in so many absolutely huge companies in Russia and non Russian companies it's obscene
Usmanov is richer than Abramovitch mate, and by a significant amount as well. If I were an Arsenal fan I'd be fuming that Kroenke is calling the shots and not him.

You obviously know waaaay more about this than most (to be honest, like a lot on here, I didn't really know who Usmanov was a few days ago) but I think you're thinking like an accountant here (but hey, Moshiri is an accountant, right?) and assuming the cool head of business will apply fully in this situation. People don't buy premier league clubs for the same reasons that they buy property, they buy them for the same reason they buy Ferraris: status, to impress their mates and to excite the nether parts of impressionable women. It seems to me that Usmanov currently part-owns a Ferrari that he's never going to be able to drive.

I don't think you can compare football with property; there aren't Turkish property ultras stabbing visiting architects in the arse with jarg flick knives. When Farshad Moshiri's parents were smuggling him out of Persia in a rolled-up rug he didn't take one last look at his room and quickly grab his signed photo of Kirsty and Phil as the roof fell in. He grabbed his Panini "Argentina 78" sticker album (which was almost full: Moshiri's main regret to this day is that he has never been able to source the sticker for Hungarian defender Tibor Nyilasi.)

Long analogy short: Usmanov is stuck in an extremely desirable North London Property but one where he's not allowed to make any decisions about the decor and he has to sleep beneath the stairs like Harry Potter. His mate has bought a historic "fixer upper" in the North and is about to totally redo the place to his liking: he's tastefully reimagined the Georgian architecture and the planning permission for the sex dungeon has already been waived through. Usmanov will ring Moshiri up from his classy London dinner party and hear Farhad recreating the last days of Rome, face down in a pyramid of lemo, Scarface-style, as he watches while the Swedish female beach volley ball have started to massage each other after a hard day's training: it's really hot in the steam room, and even though beads of sweat form on their midriffs the sand has left their skin a bit dry so they have to get the baby oil out and ........er what were we talking about again?

Sod this Everton lark!
I just want to hear MUCH more about Swedish ladies beach volleyball teams.
Oh and by the way some pictures wouldn't go amiss!
Thanks.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back