Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who says they werent worried when we were literally one or two points above relegation, needs to get their heads out of their arses. More a case of Hope rather than Knowledge. Hey we are nearly top 10 now, i guess all is well in the world.

As for Burnley ? It was pretty dull, i was happy to see him play two wingers, we get a penalty and go a goal up, he then takes off a winger and goes back to his usual 4-2-2-2 with one winger B.S. Pressure was on the back line again, Bobby better change things now and experiement whilst mid table finish is alls we will get, that way he can have a settled pre season and good start next year.

As for the Baines penalty, i find it a joke martinez has given it to Lukaku, nothing wrong with baines, i sometimes get the feeling martinez is trying to change things out of spite from the moyes regime.

Another breathtaking performance on Saturday.

Not sure how much longer we'll be able to hold onto this fella, especially with Ancelotti, Guardiola and Pellegrini all said to be at risk.

Anybody who says they werent worried when we were literally one or two points above relegation, needs to get their heads out of their arses. More a case of Hope rather than Knowledge. Hey we are nearly top 10 now, i guess all is well in the world.

As for Burnley ? It was pretty dull, i was happy to see him play two wingers, we get a penalty and go a goal up, he then takes off a winger and goes back to his usual 4-2-2-2 with one winger B.S. Pressure was on the back line again, Bobby better change things now and experiement whilst mid table finish is alls we will get, that way he can have a settled pre season and good start next year.

As for the Baines penalty, i find it a joke martinez has given it to Lukaku, nothing wrong with baines, i sometimes get the feeling martinez is trying to change things out of spite from the moyes regime.
I wouldn't say that mate. I think most who weren't worried just thought teams like Burnley, QPR, etc were too poor to get the points needed to worry us. Never was a case "we're too good to go down" for me, just couldn't see the teams below us doing much. We won 2 of 15 at one point and we're still in 14th-15th. We were terrible but the teams at the bottom we're even more so. Obviously it's not acceptable to rely on other teams to be gash but we've turned things around a bit and have 6 games to see if we can end the season strong.

I wouldn't say that mate. I think most who weren't worried just thought teams like Burnley, QPR, etc were too poor to get the points needed to worry us. Never was a case "we're too good to go down" for me, just couldn't see the teams below us doing much. We won 2 of 15 at one point and we're still in 14th-15th. We were terrible but the teams at the bottom we're even more so. Obviously it's not acceptable to rely on other teams to be gash but we've turned things around a bit and have 6 games to see if we can end the season strong.

I understand that we expected say, QPR and Burnley to go down, but there was still one space left, i think palace, newcastle and mayeb WBA were considered safe, that left Hull (who beat us comfortably in new year) Leicester (who we beat by a huth OG if i remember) and Sunderland who were not safe either, given Leicesters recent run, anybody down there can get sucked into the fight, of course i give credit to Martinez he has done it ugly lately but needs must etc etc.....

I understand that we expected say, QPR and Burnley to go down, but there was still one space left, i think palace, newcastle and mayeb WBA were considered safe, that left Hull (who beat us comfortably in new year) Leicester (who we beat by a huth OG if i remember) and Sunderland who were not safe either, given Leicesters recent run, anybody down there can get sucked into the fight, of course i give credit to Martinez he has done it ugly lately but needs must etc etc.....
Beatting Leicester? In your dreams perhaps. We got a very very lucky draw (2:2) We were second best for the whole second half and Leicester came fom behind after a couple of Howard howlers. Lukaku saved Martinez job that day.

To be fair, I think he was forced to revert to one winger earlier than he woukd have wanted to after Mirallas was booked for that savage tackle and the chances are the ref wiukd have produced a second yellow at some stage to atone for not producing the straight red.

Though I am sure Mirallas wouldn't have lasted the whole game anyway. He never does these days.

Also......do we know that Martinez actually took Baines off penalty duty in order to give the job to Rom.....or has Baines given the job up due to a lack of confidence on his own behalf?

That's the way it looks to me.

The last two pennos he took were awful.

Last edited:
got a horrible feeling we are walking eyes open into a disaster with this fella, big summer for him this

Unfortunately that is the way I am feeling also.

I don't hold out much hope for next season being any better than this.

And I have been totally underwhelmed by this recent run we have been on.

Despite the wins it has for the most part been Dullsville, Arizona.

Wasn't the closest we were to the relegation zone after the whole weekends fixtures had been played 6 points and in 14th place?

If we hadn't beaten newcastle that would have left us 3 or 4 points off and I would have been worried then, but in terms of points and league position I don't think we were ever in real danger.

Not everything is rosy at Everton, we all know that, but we've been on a good run the last couple of months and it's a platform to build on for next season if we can keep it up.

Unfortunately that is the way I am feeling also.

I don't hold out much hope for next season being any better than this.

And I have been totally underwhelmed by this recent run we have been on.

Despite the wins it has for the most part been Dullsville, Arizona.
I want to see a genuine indication from him that we need an injection of pace and balance, and less loyalty to his favourites, I'm not convinced we will get it, but the powder should be kept dry for now, unless Klopp wants the job, then he should be sacked with extreme prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back